Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve omega whining/humming noise

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Hey everyone, I was after some advice on what the cause of a noise is on my 2008 ve omega. For the last couple of months it’s developed a humming/ low level whining sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car, it seems to do it the most at around 80kms/hr and appears to quiten down at 100kms/hr. I had new tyres fitted around the same time, I thought it would be the tyres so I put different tyres on the rear and it made no difference, could it be the wheel bearings or worse the diff, or driveline, I don’t thrash the car very often and I’ve never done any burnouts in the car

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I'm going to say one or both of rear wheel bearings

This can be checked with a stethoscope or listening to a screw driver while car is lifted and have a buddy accelerate slowly but at a constant speed.

You will need to turn off traction control whilst doing this.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Btw... here's someone checking a wheel bearing with a screw driver

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Another way to test wheel bearings is while driving on a quiet road swerve left to right if the pitch of the noise changes on the loaded side that will be the bearing that needs replacing

MY18VF2SV6TTAN1C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Commodore SV6 3.6L
I’ve got a low whine every now and then in my 08 Omega but it happens when I’m in park and accelerate gently. Only seems to happen when the engine is warm.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The drivers side rear wheel bearing usually goes first on VE's. And as someone said it's more noisy when turning corners one side more than the other.
Mine had to be replaced around 150,000 ks.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Is replacing the bearings on the VE straight forward like unbolting the hub assembly and bolting in a new one or do we need to remove and press in new bearings.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Is replacing the bearings on the VE straight forward like unbolting the hub assembly and bolting in a new one or do we need to remove and press in new bearings.
It's NOT a straight forward job. Not recommended for the handyman with a Bunnings tool kit. It's the only job I ever took to the Holden dealer and happily paid the $320 for them to do it. 8 years later still going strong.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
It's NOT a straight forward job. Not recommended for the handyman with a Bunnings tool kit. It's the only job I ever took to the Holden dealer and happily paid the $320 for them to do it. 8 years later still going strong.
"O" good to know.
By this you possible need a bearing puller or a Press. No douby you change both sides.
Funny thing is, Possible it a coincidence as Omega are only mentions to have poor bearings
Question!
Does the v6 Omega has lesser bearing compared to other like the SV6

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Holden dealer and happily paid the $320 for them to do it. 8 years later still going strong.
SHI.T 8 years ago. Today because Holden is going down the toilet I bet It will cost you well over $500