Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS electric faults

Loosenit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2013
Hi al, I’m new to this forum so not sure if anyone has already asked this before, about the dashboard warning lights, engine, abs, stability, check engine, every time the car is started and whilst driving beeps and flashes, also have a problem with the brakes making a crunching sound, the cars been checked 4 times by qualified holden mechanic in the past 2 months. Still not fixed obviously apart from parking it does anyone have any ideas, it’s ex police car.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
What lights are flashing? How come your brakes are crunching? How long have you had this car for?

Loosenit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2013
I’ve had the car 2 years approximately, wife drives it maybe 5 kms each day for work. It gets serviced when needed has been good up till roughly 2 months ago.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
"qualified Holden mechanic" AKA apprentices arsehole. That's probably the biggest issue. If your car is wailing at you that means there's trouble codes so if they're finding nothing wrong, you should take it somewhere else, like a performance shop, because they usually love what they do

Loosenit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2013
"qualified Holden mechanic" AKA apprentices arsehole. That's probably the biggest issue. If your car is wailing at you that means there's trouble codes so if they're finding nothing wrong, you should take it somewhere else, like a performance shop, because they usually love what they do
Thankyou Pollushon I’ll keep it in mind when next in the big city, I live in small country town, what do you think the brakes problem could be? It seems to happen mostly when you first reverse the car most times, sounds bit like the brake pad is breaking and only on the driver side, TIA.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I’ve had the car 2 years approximately, wife drives it maybe 5 kms each day for work. It gets serviced when needed has been good up till roughly 2 months ago.
What service intervals are we talking? How many kilometres between each service?

Also, what's the odometer reading?

Loosenit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2013
Hi Commo64, Thankyou for reply, the last service was b4 it was due, whenever the missus hears a noise it’s at the mechanics, the abs and stability light comes on plus service due and motor warning lights come on, the odometer reads 167339, it’s strange how the brakes started playing up around the same time.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hi Commo64, Thankyou for reply, the last service was b4 it was due, whenever the missus hears a noise it’s at the mechanics, the abs and stability light comes on plus service due and motor warning lights come on, the odometer reads 167339, it’s strange how the brakes started playing up around the same time.
Have you scanned for codes using a code reader? Scanner apps on your phone are fine...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve had the car 2 years approximately, wife drives it maybe 5 kms each day for work.
In a big city, doing daily 5km trips in stop start traffic will kill a battery in no time.

A failing battery causes voltage issues which are the bane of the VE where the system sees all sorts of faults that don’t obviously relate back to the failing battery.

Even though you’re doing country kms and such shouldn’t be as bad as doing the same short trips in a city, 5km may still not be long enough to charge the battery appropriately. As such I’d connect a charger and fully charge the battery and then get it load tested to ensure it’s aok.

If the charged battery fails the load test, you may have found the cause of some of the dash lights.

If the battery tests ok, more investigation is required and here the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s in Holden speak, fault codes in general) can help guide the diagnostic process.

As to a grinding noise when braking, that sounds mechanical. If you have any mechanical aptitude, take off the wheel where the noise seems to come from and check the condition of the rotor surface and how much meat is left on the brake pads. Why, because most pads have a metal tang that will touch the rotor when the pads are at the wear limit and the scraping/squeezing noise on brake applications is an audible indication to change your brake pads. Really, any competent mechanic would have checked this as a matter of course.