Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS electric faults

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
That is something I’ve never heard of, would it be under commodore code scanner in apps ? TIA
You could just search up "Car code reader" though I'm not sure which one as there's so many of them, and only some are compatible with Holden... You'll also probably have to purchase a dongle which will plug into your car, and will use Bluetooth to read codes...

P.S: Before you do what I've mentioned, does the battery have enough voltage to run the car properly?

Loosenit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2013
In a big city, doing daily 5km trips in stop start traffic will kill a battery in no time.

A failing battery causes voltage issues which are the bane of the VE where the system sees all sorts of faults that don’t obviously relate back to the failing battery.

Even though you’re doing country kms and such shouldn’t be as bad as doing the same short trips in a city, 5km may still not be long enough to charge the battery appropriately. As such I’d connect a charger and fully charge the battery and then get it load tested to ensure it’s aok.

If the charged battery fails the load test, you may have found the cause of some of the dash lights.

If the battery tests ok, more investigation is required and here the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s in Holden speak, fault codes in general) can help guide the diagnostic process.

As to a grinding noise when braking, that sounds mechanical. If you have any mechanical aptitude, take off the wheel where the noise seems to come from and check the condition of the rotor surface and how much meat is left on the brake pads. Why, because most pads have a metal tang that will touch the rotor when the pads are at the wear limit and the scraping/squeezing noise on brake applications is an audible indication to change your brake pads. Really, any competent mechanic would have checked this as a matter of course.
Thankyou for reply Skylarking, I’ve been advised to take it to a performance mechanic, but will look at what you’ve mentioned 1st.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Thankyou Pollushon I’ll keep it in mind when next in the big city, I live in small country town, what do you think the brakes problem could be? It seems to happen mostly when you first reverse the car most times, sounds bit like the brake pad is breaking and only on the driver side, TIA.
When you take the wheel off if the brake pads are o.k, check that the sliders aren't binding. If the discs are warped it can cause brake issues as well, but you should be able to feel the run out through the pedal or steering when braking heavily.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thankyou Pollushon I’ll keep it in mind when next in the big city, I live in small country town, what do you think the brakes problem could be? It seems to happen mostly when you first reverse the car most times, sounds bit like the brake pad is breaking and only on the driver side, TIA.
Brakes will need inspecting. Grinding noises are going to be obvious in their cause to who ever inspects it.

Download the factory manual. A quick search will find quite a few links here on the forum.

All dash warnings will generate specific codes. A letter followed by four digits. Anyone who owns a car made after 1992 needs to have a code reader that is suited to Holden codes as a minimum. They provide a starting point.

Get the battery load tested and the charge circuit checked. Low available voltage at start up or after a short amount of time running the motor will generate a sht show of codes as the ECM shuts down different circuits to keep voltage going to running the engine.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi Commo64, Thankyou for reply, the last service was b4 it was due, whenever the missus hears a noise it’s at the mechanics, the abs and stability light comes on plus service due and motor warning lights come on, the odometer reads 167339, it’s strange how the brakes started playing up around the same time.
If its your missus that’s taking it to the mechanics I’ll bet dollars to donuts either A) they aren’t taking her seriously or B) she doesn’t know how to explain what’s going on properly.

Whenever my missus needed her car looked at by the mechanics I’d take it myself because I know enough about cars that they will take me seriously.

Learning about how cars operate and the correct terminology to use is really something everyone should learn even if you never plan on working on one.

At the very least you might be taken more seriously by your mechanic because your not asking for more blinker fluid or complaining there’s too much distributor in your hubcaps.