Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute steering Angle Sensor fault

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Eliminating a basic common cause is a good step toward the next thing.

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
Get the cluster in 'engineering mode' take the ute for a 30 minute run and monitor the voltage.
See if it settles at about 13.8 volts during the run.
I got 14v to 14.4v, dipped to 13.9v a little bit. It was only about a 20-minute drive, I'll do that test again when I have a longer drive.

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
SOLVED, CS (clockspring) was 1 turn off.
The original problem was the airbag light came on, so I had to remove the CS to test it with a multimeter, by turning the CS I could see the connection was intermittent, the problem was solved there, but in the testing of the CS l lost track of the center position.
I turned the CS fully to the left until I felt it starting to bind, and then I turned it back to the right, until the noon (12 o'clock) position, from there I counted 6 1/2 turns to the right when it started to bind I turned back to the noon position of the sixth turn, I then turned it back another 3 turns which I figured was the physical center position, at least that's what I thought. Was I wrong or right to think that?
However, I did not have a CS to replace it and I needed the car to use so I just put the old CS back until I got another CS (I bought 2 because I got a good price and I decided to have a spare CS)
When I took it for a test drive the Traction control turned itself off again
I decided that I needed the help of a scan tool, so I bought one, a NUCAR V07.
I first tried to re-calibrate it and it said it was successful, but as soon as I drove the car the TC turned off again, I did that a few times.
So, I dug deeper and after a while, I found where it showed the steering angle in the Scan tool.
It showed me that I was -360 degrees off center, so I turned the CS 1 turn to the right and that is what fixed the problem.
The 2 CS's I bought gave me the same results. 2 turns back from the far right 12noon. Weird. Calibrating didn't seem to do Jack at all, but I still did it from the 2 turns back just in case.
I'm not big in writing so I hope I have explained it well enough.

PS, thanks for the helpful advice Gentlemen, as I venture into the unknown, lol.