Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Walkinshaw Tune Vs Touch up Tune with low nm reading

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I have a ssv series 2 A6 with OTR and walkinshaw tune . Changed the diff gears to 3.45 I also upgraded to a full exhaust system. Hurricane ceramic coated 4 into 1 headers with 100cell high flow cats & 2.5 catback manta exhaust. Car was running fine until I got a custom touch up tune and gear box shift points sorted. Dyno results 346Rwhp. The tuner told me that the Dynopack hub dyno, reads differently as the rear wheels are removed and axle is mounted directly to the hub ? The car is performing extremely well and alot better then the walkinshaw tune
Regards Mark

Last edited:

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
He's right in some respcts. Hub dyno's do read differently. They tend to be more repeatable in terms of result numbers as the contact issues between a tyre and a drum are removed.

I don't know if they are more accurate - these are a hydraulic system so hydraulic resistance to fluid movement must be large - and varying with temperature of the fluid as viscosities are not fixed. IThey also require a totally seperate dyno per wheel - so your results are already an average of 2 dyno's - or more for 4wd's.

Did they give you a torque number ?

Cheers

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
The touch up tune results 346Rwhp and 450nm of torque. The walkinshaw tune had more torque but less power and was better with 95 fuel . Touch up tune runs better on 98 It's just awesome you can feel the power right through the Rev range and plenty of wheel spin 1st to 2nd and 2nd into 3rd. Also the tuner said that the throttle adjustment was locked at 80% in the ECU so it's now adjusted to 100%. If your getting a walkinshaw tune make sure they adjust throttle control to 100% in the ECU. Needs more grip so changing rear tyres from 245 to 275x30x19. Soon
Regards Mark 

Last edited:

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I you are getting wheelspin into 2nd and 3rd then you must have either a lose diff or **** tyres. I have a bit more power than yours and mine hooks up very well with only a shake of the tail from 1st to 2nd.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Interesting Duaned. What size tyres and diff ratio do you have. My 3.45 Diff is perfect with the A6. I've changed the rear tyres and rims. Redline 19 " x 9 " chrome rims with new 275 x 30 x19 bridgestone potenza rear tyres. 1st to 2nd and 2nd into 3rd now has plenty of grip but I'm still getting wheel spin 1st into 2nd. The old tyres were (maybe **** tyres) down to 50% tread 245 x 40 x 19 kinforest KF550.
Regards Mark

Last edited:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
What's the throttle adjustment.
I'm getting my ve walkinshaw tune redone on 13may. Did u go maf less or keep the maf.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I'll give my tune shop a call (LK Motors) to confirm the info. Yes the throttle adjustment was locked at 80% . So LK motors unlocked and adjusted the ECU throttle adjustment to 100%
It's a muf tune the same as my old Walkinshaw tune, I kept the muf.

Last edited:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I'll probably keep the maf also. Just don't want any issues with the car having issues with unroadworthy etc etc. it's a work car. Aside from a handful of kW and maybe a smidge of throttle response.

Mine is an everyday work car so I guess some form of fuel economy is needed. With the change in diff and the vcm cold air I'm struggling to stay out of the 17's. I'm driving it a whole lot harder probably.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Using 98 octane fuel and mainly in 80 to 100km zone. Driving fairly hard I'm getting around 14.5.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Even with the 4.11 diff and manual I don't have significant wheelspin issues in my ute with the Michelin pilot super sports. Even in the wet u can use full throttle in first without the traction control having a convulsion. Perhaps being a tradie ute I carry at least 100kg of tools. Perhaps more.
Anyway I'm looking forward to doing the touch up tune.

It's getting closer wed 11/5 like waiting for Xmas when you were 10yo LOL.