Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE transmission slipping

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
In order of events:

1. Engine warning light was coming on – codes said cam sensor.
2. Was due for a trans service so had that done ... and a solenoid was replaced.
3. As soon as it came back the trans shift was not smooth so had it checked (different scanner) – codes again said cam sensor and (this time) correlation. (The local mechanic and trans guy were there together and said it was the timing chain – messing things up.)
4. Took it to a Holden dealer for a proper scan and they found the same info – codes said cam sensor and correlation and advised timing chain replacement.
5. But this time the car was sometimes going into limp mode.
6. Never was there any noise etc. coming from the timing chain.
7. Had the timing chain replaced – no more engine warning light. (They said drive the car for a week and see if the trans shift settles down.) Apparently the chain was 'one tooth out'.
8. Mechanics noticed the ATF was pretty dark.
9. Trans still slips, but in a different way – most noticeably a pause/slip between 3 and 4, but not always.
10. Took it back to the trans shop and the test drove it – could not replicate the fault. OBD2 scanner showed nothing.

I don't really want to keep driving it in case doing so makes it worse (and more expensive to fix) – but would also like to know what the hell is going on!

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
What condition is your battery in? I had slipping and tech2 report showed solinoids were getting low voltage. Battery seemed fine otherwise. Changing much better now with a new battery

Reaction score
Members Ride
What condition is your battery in? I had slipping and tech2 report showed solinoids were getting low voltage. Battery seemed fine otherwise. Changing much better now with a new battery

Thanks for chiming in ... that's pretty interesting.

As far as I know the battery is good. It ran flat a few months back (light left on) but my auto elec gave it a re-charge and gave it the all clear.

Also, I do hear a bit of a 'tick/click' sound from below with some gear changes.

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
I just relayed this information to the auto mechanic ... he reckoned a batter issue is possible but not common and would usually effect ALL gear changes, not just 3>4. Hmmm.

When I asked about the tick/click sound he said that normally you can't hear a solenoid from inside the car.

And then I asked if the solenoid they changed out with the last service might be faulty and possibly the cause of all this he said, 'Yes, it has happened before'.

They are going to take another look at it next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Transmission been serviced right?
Some of the guys will know better than me.
The tranny needs to be warmed up to a set temperature that add oil.

Like I said some of the guys will verified.

Reaction score
Members Ride
A second trans shop just looked at the car. It is consistently slipping from 3 > 4. They said remove and reco – $2400 if I am lucky, and $2750 for standard reco. More if it needs a radiator – which is uncommon. Interestingly, they reckoned it is not possible to just be changing one solenoid as the first trans shop said they had done – apparently they are all one one board? (Remember, this is a 6-speed.)

So back to the first trans shop to get a quote. They said $3500 for a reco. But if it was only a repair to the damaged clutch then it might be $1500. And they said they would check the solenoid again in case that was faulty – but they doubted it.

Quite a range in figures here ... and a bit of fact checking also. Hmmm.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: