Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE transmission slipping

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
So doing the maths, if you get 20% left of the old stuff, if you change the old twice, you only have 4% of the old stuff if you drive it for a while with the new stuff mixed with the old stuff. So if you do it again, you only have less than 1% bad oil if you change it a third time. I had my BF XR8 Ute done at one place and it cost me $700 and another different place was around $700 as well.

I remember taking the XR8 which was running perfectly well and after I got it changed, it was running rough as. They told me that it would calm down and to there credit, it was good after a week.

Weird but I didn't bother taking it back there after that. I sold it to a mate and it died about 50k after that but in saying that, he was towing something with it and had no transmission cooler.

Now that I say that, does that transmission have a cooler on it?

Being an E series HSV, it should have a heavy duty cooler as OEM.
Look through the grille, should see it in front of the radiator, top, passenger side.
What year is your Clubbie?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

102SSRS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 3.6L Red VE
We don't get tranny dipsticks anymore.

I bought an aftermarket locking DS and installed it on my Camaro.

They change the fluid now using a machine hooked to the cooler lines.

With the newer Dex 6 synthetic fluid your service levels are extended far beyond the old Dex 2 ATF.

I made over 800 1/4 mile drag strip passes on a stock 200,000 km 4L60E with a 3600 stall with a Dex 6 fill and that stuff still looked and smelled new 16,000 kms later.

I drove the car back and forth to the track 75kms each way.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
Sounds like you just need to drive it until it dies and buy a second hander when it lets go.

When I was a young fella, I feel for the lets open up the transmission and check it out trick. They called me in and said, showed me it in a 1000 peices and told me, at this stage, its better to do full recondition while they had me over the barrel.

1. A week later ... and the trans has just now started with the same slip/hesitation in manual and sports shift as well.

2. Have been on the lookout for a decent s/h trans.

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
It's fixed. All done. Finally!

Got a referral to AGM in West Heidelberg and they sounded on the ball – and they do drag racing stuff as well as classics (my thing). They were inclined to fix rather than fully re-build ... also said it was unlikely to be a clutch pack after just 150K kms. But when they road tested and experienced the 'slip/pause' going into 4th they figured otherwise ... definitely trans out for a look.

When done they said it was like 'brain surgery'. Road testing with the scan tool showed erratic results from the electrical side of things. And once apart they could see no signs of leak/damage from the clutch pack. In the end, the mechatronics was replaced and they put in a new clutch pack regardless.

All works well and walked away after $2145. (Better than the $3.5K quoted by the shop that did the original service!)

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread ... I know a lot more about this stuff now!

Cheers

John