Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Contoured/Custom Front Plate Mount?

CobaltColton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SSV Redline
I am looking for a contoured front plate mount for my VF. It's hard to believe that in this day and age of 3D printers, no one has created one of these yet.

What I am looking for would have the following characteristics:
1) Is as thin as possible and mounts as close to the bumper as possible
2) Presents an almost imperceptible seam when viewed from the side
3) Leaves no open space(s) between the mount and the front bumper
4) Looks factory

When searching, I only found one example that came close to what I was looking for (attached), but even it was crude and aesthetically unappealing. This example has a few deviations from what I am looking for.

1) Too thick - stands off too far from bumper
2) At a wrong angle (i.e. angled slightly downward)
3) Not the same color/finish as front bumper
4) Ugly, etc.

Is anyone aware of someone who does this or something that will perform this function?

Attachments

• contoured plate mount-01.jpg
    contoured plate mount-01.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 113

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
"in this age of 3d printers"

I think you are over estimating the usefulness of 3d printers and the demand for the product you are describing.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Doesn’t really sound possible. Factory already has a recess for plates. But the recess isnt deep enough for the plate to sit against the bumper without sitting proud.

And being an Australian design where we need on the front of the car, the plate already sits flat against the body. Its not like any imported car wheres theres a plastic add on attached to the bumper because the countries that build our cars now dont need front number plates.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I am looking for a contoured front plate mount for my VF. It's hard to believe that in this day and age of 3D printers, no one has created one of these yet.

What I am looking for would have the following characteristics:
1) Is as thin as possible and mounts as close to the bumper as possible
2) Presents an almost imperceptible seam when viewed from the side
3) Leaves no open space(s) between the mount and the front bumper
4) Looks factory

When searching, I only found one example that came close to what I was looking for (attached), but even it was crude and aesthetically unappealing. This example has a few deviations from what I am looking for.

1) Too thick - stands off too far from bumper
2) At a wrong angle (i.e. angled slightly downward)
3) Not the same color/finish as front bumper
4) Ugly, etc.

Is anyone aware of someone who does this or something that will perform this function?

it could be created and 3d printed very easily but the person that is designing it would need access to a vf to make the appropriate measurements.
a laser scan of the front bar(plate area) would be the best way as you could make a negative from the scan which would give the plate mount a perfect fit(contour) to the front bar.
once you have that the printing is the easy part and if you wanted a certain color you could just have the plate mount painted.

i would suggest if you do find someone to design and print it that you get it printed in PC(polycarbonate) as it is very strong and it has really good thermal resistance for direct sunlight.

CobaltColton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SSV Redline
Curious as to why you want one.
So I can mount a Euro plate to my front bumper (I am in the states).
"in this age of 3d printers"

I think you are over estimating the usefulness of 3d printers and the demand for the product you are describing.
Demand for sure.
Doesn’t really sound possible. Factory already has a recess for plates. But the recess isnt deep enough for the plate to sit against the bumper without sitting proud.

And being an Australian design where we need on the front of the car, the plate already sits flat against the body. Its not like any imported car wheres theres a plastic add on attached to the bumper because the countries that build our cars now dont need front number plates.
I would like the part number for that lower grille section then, because I have one that is plain, but contoured, not flat.

Attachments

• ss front.JPG
    ss front.JPG
    566.3 KB · Views: 121

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan