Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF S2 SSV Redline Key Replacement Experience

Pelican94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SSV Redline Sedan
I thought this might be useful for others with VF S2 Remote Start Key Issues.

I recently had to replace one of my remote start fobs after it failed completely; even opening the door with the key blade set off the alarm, so I needed to get another fob. Holden wanted $400 and the dealer wanted another $150 to program it to the car and cut the key blade. Locksmiths are cheaper but still $400 all up but for an aftermarket key which they claim are “better” than the eBay ones (which I knew cost less than $30 with battery). Needless to say I was keen to look at other options including any which gave me additional keys in case another failed in the near future.

So the plan became to buy 2 new eBay keys and program them to the car using a borrowed Autel programming tool. This went well but left me with 3 working key fobs but only one with a useable key blade. What could I do about this? There were 4 options.

• Live with the single cut key blade. But this would mean I had to always keep the full key (or the dead key) with me in case I needed it to get into the car when a fob battery went flat or failed completely. I rejected this as too cumbersome and risky.
  • Have a second blade cut by a locksmith but this may be an unnecessary expense (since the failed fob blade could somehow be used) so I decided to look at other options.
  • Break open the original failed Holden fob and one of the aftermarket fobs and swap the key blades over. I did this but had a lot of trouble prying open the Holden fob (it seemed to be glued, definitely not meant to be opened) without damaging it but the aftermarket fob was easier to pry open. But now I ran into a bigger problem as the Holden key blade button and button mechanism are slightly larger in diameter while the aftermarket blade housing button hole and layout are slightly smaller. This means that the parts are not interchangeable. It may be possible to modify the aftermarket housing to take the larger button mechanism but at the risk of ruining a fully working fob. I thus rejected this as well.
  • Proceed as per 3. above but swap the circuit boards instead of the key blades. This worked well as the boards are the same size and shape and swap easily. I was only concerned that there might be problems assembling the Holden housing (would I have to glue it?) but I found it was a tight interference fit and stayed together without gluing for now. It may need to be glued sometime in the future – but we shall see.
So I am happy now that I have 2 fully working fobs again and a third one as a backup but at a considerable cost saving over that of the dealer or locksmith. But it also gave me the opportunity to look at the differences between the design and construction of the two fobs and to understand why one is considered to be worth up to 15 times the other. I found the following:-

• The Holden fob had a smoother (nicer?) exterior than the aftermarket fob. It also has the Holden logo recessed into it.
  • The Holden fob housing is glued together while the aftermarket fob is clearly designed to snap together. Otherwise they look to have the same plastic thickness and strength.
  • The Holden fob key blade button/spring mechanism is slightly larger than the aftermarket fob such that the parts are not interchangeable.
  • The Holden fob circuit board is more complex (double layered board with internal interconnections) and has more discrete components than the simpler aftermarket board.
But are these differences enough to justify the increased price? Despite all these differences, the aftermarket fob works just as well as the Holden one. Whether it will be as reliable or long lasting remains to be seen but my car has 22k on the clock after nearly 7 years so the original fobs have no right to be considered over-used and worn out. And Holden only warrant their own fobs for 12 months and use the argument that they are only “consumer equipment” components with a typical consumer quality and warranty.

To me it is clear that the Holden fobs are overpriced but no more reliable than the aftermarket ones. But even if they were less reliable, provided aftermarket fobs remain available (or you keep some spares), and you have the means to program them to the car, you will have reasonably priced fobs with full access to your car long after Holden parts and service have dried up.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
oem keys are better quality and more durable over time but at double/triple the price they are not worth it.

you can mash oem parts into aftermarket keys but you will need a dremel to get them to operate smoothly, i have done this a few times swapping blades into aftermarket shells.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
Do you really need the blade? Under the lid of console is an emergency start access - even if fob battery goes flat, can start from here?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
ive used it a couple of times to open the door
it just sets the alarm off

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Do you really need the blade? Under the lid of console is an emergency start access - even if fob battery goes flat, can start from here?
If the fob gets damaged or goes flat while the vehicle is locked you need the blade to unlock the door to access the console to start the vehicle.

Not an issue if you are at home with the spare handy but can be problematic if you are out.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If the fob gets damaged or goes flat while the vehicle is locked you need the blade to unlock the door to access the console to start the vehicle.

Not an issue if you are at home with the spare handy but can be problematic if you are out.
This is an issue with remote locking enabled and the battery goes flat in the fob, it'll lock the car with the key inside. I had this problem the night I collected my SV6 wagon, came back into the shed after dinner and the car is locked both keys with flat fob batteries in the console. I fished around with a bit of wire and jagged the snib lock luckily to unlock the door. I always disable the remote locking thing in MyLink.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I always disable the remote locking thing in MyLink
i do the same, i hate it and now with this outlander it is enabled with no option to turn it off :oops: