Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
MyChevrolet - based on your OnStar subscription which all VF’s exported to the USA have

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
MyChevrolet - based on your OnStar subscription which all VF’s exported to the USA have
Us bogans down under don’t get an OnStar option... no seat cool option, no HID headlights option... no self installable map updates...

We built them down under but we are still treated like the poor cousins :eek:

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
Us bogans down under don’t get an OnStar option... no seat cool option, no HID headlights option... no self installable map updates...

We built them down under but we are still treated like the poor cousins :eek:
Yeah, sorry about that - one day, my VF will be back home (Vic, Aust.) - will be interesting if the Satalite features will still be avaible via subscription - not sure who’d they‘d call in the event of a prang or theft as its currently 911 :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, sorry about that - one day, my VF will be back home (Vic, Aust.) - will be interesting if the Satalite features will still be avaible via subscription - not sure who’d they‘d call in the event of a prang or theft as its currently 911 :)
Haha, nothing for you to apologise for unless you were involved in the decision making where GM & Holdens chose to cheap out on local Aussie vehicles by not including some of the features from the Chevy SS...

And importing a US vehicle into Australia would be interesting as the US TPM and keyless entry use different frequencies which may not be allowed down under. As such you’d have some modules and parts that‘ll need to be changed along with headlamp issues (beam cuttoff and lack of washers)... Issues for another day I’d think ;)

LSX Tuner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Caprice LS3
Heres my graph data:
kmph ave. 30 40 50 60 70
LS3 Cam 19.0l/100km 16.0 13.9 12.5 11.3
LS3 Stock 16.0 14.0 12.5 11.3 10.5
LS2 Stock 15.8 14.2 13.0 12.0 11.3

2006 WM Caprice Auto - 2017 LS3, 223/228/114 Cam, LS7 Lifters, Headers & full 2.5" Xforce system, Maffless, Twin pod SS Inductions intake with K&N's, Custom OTRCAI, Custom tuned via HP Tuners, runs 98RON Only.

Littlebudda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Aclaim, VZ Wagon, VF SS Storm
I'll give this topic a bit of a nudge. 2017 VF2 SSV. all time best is 8.6 l/100 which was a M1 motorway run from Brisbane to Ballina with one occupant. Average is 11.6 but I am mainly doing highway trips

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’ve never been one to check my fuel usage as I’ve never cared, but I just had a trip to the Gold Coast and as I recorded my odometer reading before leaving, this is the first time I’ve had the figures needed to calc how many litres I used.

I use 98 octane, the Ute’s a manual, the tune is stock and most of it is freeway driving there and back, with a week of driving around the Gold Coast, which in reality meant, sitting in traffic.

It was about an 1800 kilometre trip all up.

11.38 litres per 100 kilometres

8.83 kilometres per litre

I don’t know if that is good or bad as I’ve never done this exercise with any cars I’ve ever owned.

I don’t granny from the lights, but I’m also not in full race mode, I do hammer it on on-ramps, that’s my little bit of personal fun.

As a side note, 98 octane costs approx. $0.42c per litre more on the NSW Central Coast (Peninsula) compared to the Gold Coast, (that's not fun).

As an afterthought I'll add just a little more info:

The engine is an LS3.

Close to 25,000 km on the odometer.

Highway driving was mainly in 6th, maybe a quarter of the time I was in 5th (6th is useless to me, I hate a gear when I can't feel some resemblance of a power band and prefer 5th at 110km/h) and the occasional, let's see if it has anything to offer at 100km/h in 4th, (sometimes I get bored).

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I’ve never been one to check my fuel usage as I’ve never cared,
Me either, I've never owned an economical car!

A pet hate of mine is people modifying V8's for horsepower then winging about them "chewing the juice".

Around town my Redline ute sits around 12.6 litres per 100km's I've noticed on the dash. The SV6 is better around the mid to high 9's.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I find my LS3 is really good on fuel when going down hill and fuel is cut by ECU :p:p:p

For actual driving, I’m getting >15ltrs/100kms out of my LS3 auto and that’s with normal driving which doesn’t entail quick take offs at the lights… Average speed is around 35kph so not morning stop start driving but not freeway driving either…

I’d guess she’d loosen up with more kms under her belt as currently she has <10,000 kms on the odo :rolleyes:

It is what it is :p

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
City with a small cam I'm around 20l/100 but 6.0
Last long highway trip wagga to sydney was about 9.5l/100