Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sleeper

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
From what I have read understand that upgrading cam should also trigger upgrading rocker trunions. Cooling system potentially looking at an inter chiller, utilising insulator blankets and spacers and increasing intercooler reservoir.

Never hear of other things like high flow oil pumps, pushrods, driveshafts etc. being mentioned....
depends how much u want to spend, rocker trunions are good to do, oil pump flow will depend on what mods u have like LSA has piston squirters so needs more flow but if u dont have those then its not always needed, good pushrods should come with kit, drivetrain stuff will last if u dont stress it out or if u want to give it a hiding then it will only last so long till the weakest link brakes

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Is the upgraded diff only reccomended for automatics? What if you have a manual? Any benefits?

One question thats always on my mind regarding putting SC on the LS3. What kind of other (less glamorous) modifications should/would be beneficial especially if you want to take your rig closer to the 500kW mark?
From a reliability point I’d definitely do the rocker trunnion upgrade and a extra trans fluid cooler if its an auto. Maybe a 160f thermostat as well

Therio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
From a reliability point I’d definitely do the rocker trunnion upgrade and a extra trans fluid cooler if its an auto. Maybe a 160f thermostat as well

Mine is a manual, still be worth it?
What benefit does the thermostat upgrade give?

H

harrop.senator

Trans coolers are for auto.

It runs the block and heads cooler so can be pushed a bit further before things heat up.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
manual will need a good clutch

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
As Harrop.senator said , anything that helps remove extra heat is good thing

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
E85 flex tune is a win win I feel, cools the charge somewhat and can add timing. As 07GTS said it will get you closer to that 500rwkw number easier but you will need to up the fuel system.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
07GTS....you say there will be torque everywhere with the SC. I'm finding that the 1000-1500 rpm range a little doughy/soft. With the auto, it's surprising how much time you spend in this rev range cruising around. I'm not sure if it's the tune or the cam or it's more noticeable given the awesomeness above 2000rpm.

I'll get the tune looked at for sure. I'd be happy if the trans didn't shift into 5th or 6th until much higher speeds.

All that said, I still want the 3.45 diff gears to help address this low rpm softness. I just don't want clunk or whine. Still tossing up to go TruTrac or not.

Regarding trunnion upgrades. That's one option. I went for the Yella Terra Roller rocker option primarily for valvetrain quietness. The shaft rockers look cool too. Not that you see them except during the build.

Last edited:

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Here is a shot of the Yella Terra Ultra Light roller rockers fitted to the Higgins Stage 3 heads with dual valve springs. I wonder if I can get see-thru perspex rocker covers? Edit see thru covers already done here

Attachments

• YT Roller Rockers on Higgins.jpg
    YT Roller Rockers on Higgins.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited: