Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e - 1983

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Ah ok, I normally buy VN-VP's if I'm lookin for a donor car, just to save the head f**k with the bcm and trans lol.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Still battling on here when I have spare time.

I've run the battery to the boot and all the wires in the engine bay and cabin. My last step is to drill a big hole in the firewall for the ECU. Where do people normally drill this hole? I've tried to look in the passanger foot well for an easy place to drill that will keep the plug away from the extractors in the bay but it seems that the only way to achieve this is to remove the heater box. Is this right?

Anyone have any pics of where they have drilled the ecu hole?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Here's my engine bay at the moment. I used a metal holesaw to drill a hole above the original VK loom to put the VN loom into. My heaterbox is gone, and yeah the wiring prolly wouldn't fit there if the heaterbox was still there. Also the wiring from the VK loom which we don't need is taped up and poked back through one of the smaller holes above the VN loom. Dodgy, but is just a temp thing lol.

DSCF8905640x480.jpg

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Here's where I plan on drilling the hole. just below the air con.
enginebay.jpg

Also, got my SLE rims sand blasted and ready for paint. Just going for the original look so they'll be painted silver.
rim2.jpg

rim1.jpg

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah mate thats the spot, heater box on mine came out too! i wasnt happy bout it but shyt happens,
the wheels look killer! u should get em polished up rather than painted, but it is your car in the end!
hope it all works out without too many headaches,

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Thanks J-man. nice car! you have a video clip of your car. I'm looking at doing a twin 2.5 inch exhaust but wasn't sure if I needed mufflers in the centre and resinator at the end.

I've got 9 SLE rims at home. The idea is to have 5 sprayed and the other 4 polished at some stage.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi All, still here. Just got back from 6 weeks overseas.

So over the last 9 months I've managed to wire up the car and get it started. At this stage the tank wasn't propery installed just run next to the car to make sure evert thing was in proper working order.

VH SLE with Holden 5L - YouTube

VH SLE with injected 304 - YouTube

I've since relocated the battery to the boot, installed the fuel tank and sprayed the original SLE rims.

PaintedSLErim.jpg

412836_10150820950026736_981120733_o.jpg

I'm now fed up with seeing the car sit in the garage and not on the road so I've booked her in at the mechanic/auto elec to get finished.
It's true what they say, when you're young you have all the time to work on a car but no money. Then when you're older, you have the money but no time.

The goal is to have her registered and on the road before xmas and get her resprayed next year still in the shadow tone but with a darker blue closer to the original indigo blue colour.

I'll keep you all updated

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Mechanic was meant to fit me in during October but November rolled around and the car was still sitting in my garage so I convinced my friend who is a mechanic (and slightly obsessive compulsive when it comes to cars) to do the work for me. I'd rather pay a friend instead so works out better for me and him. Not hiding all the wiring just after a clean engine bay.
Here are a few pics of the car being moved. First time on the road in about 3 years.
3avu3e6u.jpg

erapysaz.jpg

5y5upeqe.jpg

Here it is sitting along side its EH cousin

e5ebe2am.jpg

5y9ajy4y.jpg

Here it is with the wiring half done. Notice the injector wires. They'll be completely hidden once the covers are on.

4ysa7etu.jpg

Also if anyone can help I'm after a VC-VK radiator fan shroud to suit a V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I've managed to find a shroud from a guy on Facebook. Now after a VH V8 clutch fan. I've read that the 304 fan is the same as the 308 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: