Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE - 1981 - Indigo Blue

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
After having a 1981 SLE 308 with all the options stolen back in 1997 I've always had a soft spot for the VH. In 2010 I bought myself a 1983 SLE with shadow tone (Blue on Silver) with a 202 and converted it to a 304 efi. My wife and I then had our first kid and I lost interest in the project and sold it in 2013. What a mistake that was.

About 6 months after that I started looking for another and last weekend I managed to find myself a one owner 1981 Indigo Blue SLE. Details are as follows.

Engine - 253 4.2L V8
It has 93,000kms and has been in the one family since it was purchased off the showroom floor from Boyd Holden South Wollongong. Owned by one man who later passed it on to his daughter. It sat in a garage from approximately 2008 until 2014 when it received a slight overhaul and was registered.

The car is completely original apart from a new window master switch from a VL. I picked it up Saturday from Canberra and drove it back all the way to Sydney and am pleased and surprised to say that the car made it without any issues at all.

Plans for the time being are to just enjoy it get it mechanically sound and cruise around with the 253 in it. Eventually I'll be looking at an engine swap. I'm in two minds on doing a 304 conversion or keeping it carby by going with a 308. either way I'll be upgrading the suspension, brakes and drive line first.

Now for the photos.

Not very attractive in it's standard form

Clean roof lining. Just need to replace the light cover

Original and clean interior and original log book. The owner was a non smoker so it has no burn marks in the seats and the ashtrays are all clean.

unmarked rear seats

Boot with original carpet and jack

93,000kms on the clock

The powerhouse 253

First thing I did when I got the car home was throw on the FR19s I've had sitting under the house. The front are 19x7 with 215 rubber. The rear are 19x9 with 245 rubber. I thought I was going to have to shorten the diff to fit the rear but they clear with no issues on the standard suspension. As I type the car is at Pedders having a few bushes replaced as well as shocks and lowered springs and adjustable pan hard rod. Hopefully the rear don't rub once she's lowered.

Here it is with the Simmons and the standard suspension.

I have a new set of headlights arriving next week with the clear indicators and I'll be ripping off the yellow fog lights and mud flaps shortly too.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
308 All the way, keep it true to its roots. Looks extremely clean too man, nice pickup.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
304 with TP manifold. Injected FTW.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Can't go wrong with the 304 :p, was waiting for this to pop up after i saw you bought a VH in the for sale section haha, good lock with the build!

also...#4wdmode

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I'm thinking that I'll stick with the 304/308 block. Should be a much easier build this time around as the car is already an 8 and I know what to do and not do.

Here it is sitting lower to the ground. Dropped it 2 inches.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
What's plans for it then ?

nice cruiser or going to make it a bit of a weekend weapon ?

Hope you don't take offence to this but the FR19's really don't look good on this thing, they're too big.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
It's going to be a weekend cruiser. I've got a VW Golf R that runs low 12s so wont be chasing fast 1/4 mile times in this. In saying that I want to eventually get about 400Hp at the fly and make it sound tough.

No offence regarding the rims. Everyone has their own preference. I want to fit big 343mm brakes on it eventually and you apparently need FR19s to fit them. I was originally looking at the FR18s but found that the centre for FR17s and 18s are the same, it's the outer part of the rim that gets bigger. I was also considering a set of Convos for that old school 80s look but got these at a good price.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Fair call, generally can't go wrong with simmons haha i've just always been a fan of smaller wheels on the gen 1's especially V5's :)

But if you're going big brakes then i completely understand haha

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Love it. Looks mint.

Would love another first gen in the shed.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Finally got the car out Sunday for another cruise. It's been 5 weeks since my last outing. Started first go and drove so smoothly.

E877DEEC-675D-46CA-82DA-65D559224D1D_zpsfg9bk78a.jpg

Looking at brake upgrades now, something big like 330mm or 343mm up front and and 315mm on the rear plus an upgraded brake booster.

Has anyone bought the UPC brake kits?
What about the Willwood brake master cylinder?

What are your thoughts?