Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLX 253 > 308 conversion

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
VH 253 to 308 conversion

hey guys,

just bought an 83 VH SLX with a 253 and auto trans to put my 308 + aussie 4 speed into. the 308 is currently in another drivable VH so i guess ive got everything i need for the conversion. the brake setup on both the 253 and 308 VH's looks to be identical to me so i think ill just leave that.

ive got access in january to a full workshop on a weekend where a mate works. just after a bit of advise for the best way to go about swapping everything over. i want to carry over all the suspension setup, possibly steering rack etc from the old VH into the new one as well as the engine/gearbox etc. i'm thinking just unbolt the crossmember and strut towers and disconnect everything and lift the car up on the hoist off the whole lot, and lower the new car back on it. some things im not sure about are the pedal box changover. will i need to remove the entire dash to do that? also, the 253 has working aircon, is it possible to carry that over if i leave it all in tact, or is it less hassle to get rid of the aircon? also the whole disc brake rear end with LSD i want to change over including springs & shockers. i guess it seems pretty straight foward. i guess im just after some advise from someone whos done it before if theres anything to look out for and or better ways of getting the job done.

thanks in advance,

James

Last edited:

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
bump.. has anyone gone through a simliar conversion? how long did it take you to do it & how did you go about it all?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Sounds like you know a far bit about it and with your mates help you should be right. Just take your time and double check everything, make sure nothing is still connected when you lift the body. Maybe leave the wheels on aswell.

Goodluck.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
jimmyd17 said:
i'm thinking just unbolt the crossmember and strut towers and disconnect everything and lift the car up on the hoist off the whole lot, and lower the new car back on it.

To point out the obvious....How the hell are you going to get the old shell off the hoist ???

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
um i was thinking maybe use 2 hoists with one car on each.. lift each car off the whole front ends, then manouvere each front end under the car they are to go in.. so just put the whole 253 front end back in the shell so it can be moved easily. i'll see how we go i guess.

im in the process right now of pulling the gearbox out of the 308 at home because the aussie 4 speed keeps popping out of 1st gear, (note to self, never give an aussie 4 speed a hard time off the line with a 350-400hp V8 lol) so i'm going to have a look at that and get it sorted before it all goes in the new car.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
got the gearbox out. easier than i thought it would be. there isnt much to these aussie 4 speeds.. i can pick it up by myself!

is it ok to leave the engine as it is for a few weeks without the gearbox mount supporting it at the back? the exhaust seems to be giving it some kind of support. just dont wanna damage the engine mounts i guess.

IMG_0020a.JPG

IMG_0023a.JPG

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore
Ok with the conversion u dont need to pull the whole dash apart i just put one in my Vh and all i did was drop the steering cloume and undo the rack move it out of the way then undo to brake peddle onec that is done put the new peddle box in do the bolts up and put the rest back together if u take the dash out like i did once befor when i did on another vh i owned you will have trouble with rattles and stuff like that hope this helps

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
cheers, thanks for that. yeh i wasnt too keen on pulling the whole dash out. looks like i have a change of plans too with the engine swap. the availability of the workshop is up in the air and will be longer, so im thinking of borrowing/hiring an engine crane and swapping the engine at home, and then the front suspension seperately.