Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 3.3 est removal and points dizzy.....carby problems

mikeman101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
hi !

just put a mild cam and alloy timing gear in the 3.3 and am running points dizzy and loom. .. . . its currently very hard to take off in low rpm . . when i take her up to half throttle theres a massive pause. . . no power . . then gets her power back with just over half throttle. . : /

afew questions ... can i remove all the throttle position , and vaccum crap of off the carb?
should i replace the carb with falcon or holly ?
how do i run vaccum advance ?
and also... what manifold can i use that doesnt hit my efi extractors : /

Cheers in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
I''l have a shot at it....

*Points dissy will want 8~10 volts to stop the points fusing together. Read up on ballast resistors. I'm guessing you have 12v going to your dissy.

*All EST junk can be removed. You can still use the vac gauge if you choose. Can leave anti-run on solenoid. Definitely leave 12v for electric choke.Be sure to block unused hose lines, otherwise it will be untunable. Another guess- still running the Varajet?

*It's only money. Nothing wrong with a well maintained and tuned Varajet.

*VK EST Varajets don't have a ported vacuum outlet on them. I had mine drilled by a carby guy. VH Varajets will have the port. Try manifold vacuum.

* Use the one that you will hand shape with your grinder/files!

Good luck with it.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ditch the points dizzy and grab a VH or EFI VK electronic dizzy, much better system.

I would stick with the varajet if your going to spend the money on carbs etc, Have you considered converting to EFI? It will run heaps better
Your carb will prob need a rebuild and will prob need to be jetted for the new cam etc

Some of the vacumn stuff is quite useful sensors will only allow vacumn at certain engine temps etc to aid in cold running etc Including your vac advance. Has the dizzy got vac advance? if so normally its run off ported vac via a temp switched sensor on the head so you dont get advance when cold.

To solve your problem I would look at timing and then your carb

Scott

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
An EFI manifold fits the EFI extractors. You won't get a carby manifold to fit the EFI extractors. Get the right extractors.

mikeman101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
codfishface, vkberlina, Not_An_Abba_Fan thanks for the response. . . after a night of deep thought and no sleep i have decided to take the car off the road and do a proper job instead of me half assing it like usual : ) . now i understand that the 3.3 black motors are standard high compression ? couldnt find an h or an l stamped any were. . but by looking at the pistons in my opinion its a high compression motor. . .

Question . .

running the efi extractors and efi manifold , what setup would be recomended for a supercharge setup . . single point injection, multi point injection or just carby draw through ? keeping in mind a hate electronic crap on my motors i would like to steer away from the whole big injectors and maped ecu bla bla bla... the supercharger in question would be a sc14 or sc12 with pully to suit running 10 psi. . guess this would meen lowering the compression.. so would 186 l comp pistons do the trick or is it mostly in the chambers : / cheers for the help !! looks like i may have to start a thread in the project section : ) haha