Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 5.0 - trimatic to 5 speed manual conversation.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
A member on here does clutch masters for VB to VL...Should be able to consult with him over the conversion he has done with his VC

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/callum14.87617/

It's in his signature
Vc that link is not working.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Bttf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 1988
I’ve got a stock V8 VL berlina auto and wanting to source a T5 box. Which T5’s are compatible? Can I just grab any T5? I’ll be getting my mechanic to install, he just said make sure it fits the commodore.

From what I can see out there common T5 I see are from the vn-Vs v6 engines. Would these be ok or better off getting the falcon t5? There are the falcon box’s from fg to bf, from V8 a and inline ‘s….. so I guess what I’m saying is, I ain’t a mechanic and don’t know where to start when sourcing a box that will be compatible with my car. A nudge or push in the right direction would be amazing!

I’ll be getting dellows to modify my auto pedals. Looking to get the box then once I’ve got that I can source the rest to match the engine and box e.g bell housing from dellows or somewhere else.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't grab any t5 as several different models meaning several different bellhousings required...holden v6 t5 is the worst choice with super short useless 1st gear to have behind a v8 & usually sketchy gearbox people will shorten input shaft so it will work with holden v8 bellhousing & charge big coin for cheapest unsuitable gearbox to have.

Falcon straight 6cyl t5 has taller ratios just like v8 boxes & still relatively common today for reasonable coin untill they become scarce.

If you can go have a chat at dellows & buy from them easier being in same state/city...I've bought from them a couple of times but mainly hydraulic clutch conversions for torries

Full noise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Unless it was HDT or HSV the V8 was trimatic, no baby blue manuals

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
1985 VK with VJ stamped 304 V8 out of a VL carby.

I used a VNSS T5 transmission C/w flywheel, clutch & driveshaft (out of a wreak) Went out and purchased a Dellows T5 bellhousing (trimatic bolt pattern) & their rear gearbox member (at the same time I swapped out the plastic factory release bearing carrier for a “Dellows“ steel type). The location of the gear lever is about 50mm back from where you need it, so a simple block spacer lands it back in the right position. The drive shaft was a mixture of the front half of the VN & rear of the VK (I got the centre bearing & UJs replaced & balanced all at the same time, can’t remember if the rear section remained std, shortened or lengthened). As for clutch actuation; as mines a VK I used the correct VK V8 pedal box & a heavy duty clutch cable (Dellows part, if you run extractors, the exhaust and the clutch cable run very close to each other & the std clutch cables have plastic adjusters which melt trust me!).

As I was never 100% happy with the clutch feel with the cable set up (worked fine & quessing exactly how GM engineered it). During COVID when I was bored, I fitted manual VL pedal set (direct bolt in), VL master cylinder & bespoke/hybrid salve cylinder to achieve the right throw. (The slave cylinder bracket is from the US, for a 80’s Mustang T5 hydraulic conversion kit which needed modifying as its originally located on the LHS of the box). Just drilled a hole in the std clutch fork for the push rod.

If I had my time agin I would use “CONICU” bracket with 3/4 [19mm] bore m/c as it has plenty of options for slave cylinders bore sizes. The factory VL m/c is only 5/8 [16mm] & the pay off is a “heavier” feel. At the time I did my conversion I wanted to keep a factory look! [that’s a VS booster in the pic & fits snugly behind it]
F8EFA586-BEA8-494A-AC76-6ADB68BB4F30.jpeg

83E04DCC-69B1-4929-A7A4-CE2A87BDD4CE.jpeg

Reactions: Lex