Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais window not working

Mighty_Vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Vn LS and HSV Vn Sv140
Hi all, my Vn Calais rear passenger window won’t go up anymore and only goes down. does anyone have a solution to this or know where to buy replacement window regulators?
thanks in advance all.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
All the VN VP VR VS doors are identical (as long as its also a sedan or wagon) so they all use the same regulator, rip one out a VS i would say, havent seen any new REAR ones available but rarespares does new front ones.

EDIT: Maybe its the actual switch if it only goes one way...

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The back passenger window has the longest cable runs, lowest supply voltage and generally fails first. I lube my window tracks regularly with silicon and try to exercise them often to stop them sticking. If it's stuck you can try and force it by carefully applying a solid 12V supply to the door switch terminals- there's a blue and a green wire to the actuator and from memory it's 12v to the blue wire to go down.
In the end after mine got progressively worse so I bought a replacement motor assembly on ebay . You need to drill out the existing rivets to replace the motor assembly- I reinstalled mine with rivnuts. There's instructions for this somewhere on the forum.

One thing I should have done when I replaced the actuator was re lubricate its gearbox- I didn't know this was possible until I was playing around with the old one on the bench

Last edited:

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Lube the Bailey channels with silicon spray or grease and keep lubing them and it should work okay if their going down.

If stuuck you can with palm of your hand press up or down on window while depressing switch to get it going.

Work all windows at least once a week.

Mighty_Vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
All the VN VP VR VS doors are identical (as long as its also a sedan or wagon) so they all use the same regulator, rip one out a VS i would say, havent seen any new REAR ones available but rarespares does new front ones.

EDIT: Maybe its the actual switch if it only goes one way...
neither the main control switch or the localised window switches make it go up, does this mean i’ll need to replace both of these switches?

Mighty_Vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lube the Bailey channels with silicon spray or grease and keep lubing them and it should work okay if their going down.

If stuuck you can with palm of your hand press up or down on window while depressing switch to get it going.

Work all windows at least once a week.
are the bailey channels just the channels that windows are in?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yes. And the channels go below the bottom of the window opening. Check the voltage available to the green and blue wires at that switch. The green wire powers the actuator up. GMH require that 10V be available when measured to earth at this switch to power the actuators.

Last edited:

Mighty_Vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes. And the channels go below the bottom of the window opening. Check the voltage available to the green and blue wires at that switch. The green wire powers the actuator up. GMH require that 10V be available when measured to earth at this switch to power the actuators.
if i pop off the door card will i be able to easily access these wires?
if the green wire is faulty how do i go about replacing it?
thanks in advance.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You don't have to remove the door card, the up/down switch just clips into the door and can be easily pulled out. The green and blue wires are connected to the back of it.
The problem won't be a faulty wire- if the window isn't stuck in the guide rails, it will be bad plugs/switches and dry solder joints along the circuit from the battery and earth return , giving less than 10V at the door plug or it will be a burned out actuator motor.

Mighty_Vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
You don't have to remove the door card, the up/down switch just clips into the door and can be easily pulled out. The green and blue wires are connected to the back of it.
The problem won't be a faulty wire- if the window isn't stuck in the guide rails, it will be bad plugs/switches and dry solder joints along the circuit from the battery and earth return , giving less than 10V at the door plug or it will be a burned out actuator motor.
alright, thanks for all of the help. hopefully i’m able to fix it now. much appreciated