Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN fuel pressure regulator

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Hi all, would like some help with a problem I have. I am 99% of the way through fitting a VN series2 (or possibly VP as that is what the Memcal is out of) to my Hilux. I had some probs with ECU but I am pretty sure that has been sorted and I had issues with MAP sensor but I am pretty sure that was just the vacuum line to the heater controls (mine is cable operated).
Anyway today I took the ute down to the exhaust place and it took about 10 goes to get it to start, just kept stalling straight away. When I went to pick it up it wouldn't start at all, sprayed aerostart into intake and away it went then died. This happened several times until we crimped the return line and away it went, then down the road I gave it a bit of right boot and it almost stalled then kept going. I checked the vacuum line to the regulator and it smells of fuel. So my question is, regulator buggered?
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
With the fuel in the vac. line it does sound like the reg. diaphram is leaking. Can you put a presssure gauge on the fuel feed line? It should read inlet manifold pressure + 320kPa i.e. ~422kPa absolute/320 kPa gauge with the engine off, ~352kPa absolute/250kPa gauge at idle, A/C off out of gear (auto.). It should also hold pressure with the engine off or at least bleed down very slowly.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
map sensor is plugged into the elbow not the heater controls

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
map sensor is plugged into the elbow not the heater controls

The vacuum line for the heater controls is plugged into the elbow too. At least I think thats what the line is for, its the hose just above the hose for the fuel regulator. If I am wrong and this has to be plugged in somewhere else then could someone tell me please.
Thanks

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
With the fuel in the vac. line it does sound like the reg. diaphram is leaking. Can you put a presssure gauge on the fuel feed line? It should read inlet manifold pressure + 320kPa i.e. ~422kPa absolute/320 kPa gauge with the engine off, ~352kPa absolute/250kPa gauge at idle, A/C off out of gear (auto.). It should also hold pressure with the engine off or at least bleed down very slowly.

I'm not sure if I can, the car just won't run without the fuel line crimped and I am assuming that this would give a false reading.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
The fuel pressure regulator and the heater vacuum should be connected at the elbow (each with their own connection).
The MAP sensor should be getting its vacuum from the throttle body (near the firewall) its connection points at the firewall and is hidden from easy viewing.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Today I went to the wreckers and got 2 pressure regulators, these things supposedly don't stuff up very often and I had hoped that I would get 1 good one out of it. I cleaned the TB and IAC and put it back together and it now runs for a few seconds and even idled a couple of times, till I tried to rev it. I am now thinking that it might be a blocked fuel filter as the tank I put in had been sitting around for a while. I did put a new filter on it. I will be peed off and happy at the same time if that is all it is.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I'm not sure if I can, the car just won't run without the fuel line crimped and I am assuming that this would give a false reading.

Because it's referenced to manifold pressure, you would get at least part of the story with the 422/320kPa, engine off, pump running (bridged relay terminals). That would tell you if the reg. was leaking and also check the filter and pump at the max. pressure (OK, with a lower flow rate) that it will see.

The vac. hose for the heater to the elbow - small spigot, 3-mm dia.? - sounds right. With it unblocked, vac. leak => high MAP voltage/pressure at idle.

Hope it is just the filter.

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
Put new filter on this morning and still no go. Cleared codes on ECU and is coming up with 33 again. I pulled the vacuum hose off the regulator and fuel actually came out of it so that one is cactus. I still have the other one to put on, working off the theory that they can't all be rooted. fingers crossed

85commolux

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 Hilux 3.8 V6
IAC knocking

Okay so I put the other regulator in and still no go. After I cleaned the TB I can hear and feel the IAC valve knocking when in diagnostic mode but not any other time. It has me stuffed