Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN head 355 solid cam

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
G'day legends

I am thinking about a solid flat tap cam an inlet manifold upgrade and possible up size valves VN heads 355.

Currently it is still using the Banana manifold and a small h284 cam I already had from my previous 304, the 355 does have about 10.4.1 comp and some mild port work mostly exhaust port work, this is the set up I have because that's what I had available at the time, probably skimped out a bit on the manifold because I have chosen to run a haltech to maintain the EFI for rego and ease of tune in my situation.

My question is what under the bonnet manifold should I use with a F272 and what can I expect from this cam in a 355 with high flowing VN heads and possible comp increase if necessary. I do hope that the size of the motor might reduce the cams powerband a touch but I am committed to rreving if I have to.

And how will it cruise th700 with some upgrades.

I have not purchased anything yet I am not 100% commited to any specific cam or manifold but I do want to stay away from roller cams just personal preference I think flat tappet is good and not willing to spend on fancy roller lifter cams when I can get good performance from a flat tap.

Cheers for feedback

H

harrop.senator

I'd probably go an f280-2 the f272 is good but you'll be safe to rev slightly further then it will if the balance is good.

6.5 - 6700 is as far as you want to push a 2 bolt 355 reliably if balanced well.

355 reduces the max rpm by 5-600 rpm. So that puts the 280 at perfect max power at your limiter.

If drag racing you'll want the 272 so you've got 500 rpm overrun before gear change to get into the fat spot of the next gear.

The 272 will peak 59-6100 in hp.

I'd be running a good EFI dual plane set up or a single plane. If constantly at redline single plane they kill it 3.5-7+ single plane is more 2-5.5 rpm.

What are your diff gears? How bigger stall are you willing to run?

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
Originally I was looking at the h304 cam because I wanted to keep the revs at 6k, I was thinking about 3500 stall and 3.45 or 3.7 max diff ratio.

Mostly just want to do mad power skids and still be able to cruise on the highway

Not really into drag racing just after a fun power play car that's making preferably 400rwhp through the auto.

H

harrop.senator

400rwhp with a 3.5 stall is a bit of an ask from it.

340rwhp through a stall can be an 11 second car so don't get disheartened.

I dno if it's cause they can't drive but 400whp in a modern LS is usually still a 13 second car haha.

The h304 sounds tough but isn't that much greater then the 286.

3.5 stall is a good number the 272 will definitely be an upgrade on the h284.

I'd put a 280 in it and pull timing from 6 on wards and 6600 hard limiter.

10.4 is a great comp ratio and the 272 is a little small for my liking. I think the 280 would run a better dynamic compression for a good hiding and keeping it cool on pump fuel.

It'll definitely prefer the 3.7 diff gears. Make sure you get the stall custom made to suit and has electronic lock up if it's a 4l60.

If it's not a 4l60 I'd find out how hard it is to convert to run lock up converter. If can't get lock up converter I'd increase the rear gear so it's not slipping as much at cruise.

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
400rwhp with a 3.5 stall is a bit of an ask from it.

340rwhp through a stall can be an 11 second car so don't get disheartened.

I dno if it's cause they can't drive but 400whp in a modern LS is usually still a 13 second car haha.

The h304 sounds tough but isn't that much greater then the 286.

3.5 stall is a good number the 272 will definitely be an upgrade on the h284.

I'd put a 280 in it and pull timing from 6 on wards and 6600 hard limiter.

10.4 is a great comp ratio and the 272 is a little small for my liking. I think the 280 would run a better dynamic compression for a good hiding and keeping it cool on pump fuel.

It'll definitely prefer the 3.7 diff gears. Make sure you get the stall custom made to suit and has electronic lock up if it's a 4l60.

If it's not a 4l60 I'd find out how hard it is to convert to run lock up converter. If can't get lock up converter I'd increase the rear gear so it's not slipping as much at cruise.
Sounds about right man, I know a bloke getting 390rwhp with a 4k stall on the th700 but massive roller cam that I don't want. I have considered the f280 before and will again because I know it's a nice sounding cam as well, how does it go driving around to car meet/events because it will be getting a variety of use, I will have to do some serious thinking on the cam choice definitely.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Unfortunately there is not much out there for under bonnet intakes.
If you want performance you'll have to go a TP intake then fabricate a CAI or go a TP dual plane with a 90° adaptor for a single blade TB and run silicone pipes to a Mace CAI.

H

harrop.senator

With a 3.5k stall it won't be any less streetable in my opinion. The party starts at 3 with a 355 and your flashing into the power curve above that.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
come single plane probably best flowing of low single planes....edelbrock elbow & ls throttle body...might with harrop single & modded elbow.

3.7 gears is tallest with 25-26 inch tyre...shorter the better as anythin with decent comp/cam will want to rev.

Going stroker wont reduce rev range at all if everything is done right just means broader torque range....only downside is if you like buzzing it over 6000rpm-7000rpm run the risk of walking the caps etc.

They'll make good power with enough money spent but then need havew all right things done to it so that they hold together.

Basics would be:
f280
10.5 to 11.1
good single plane,elbrock elbow,ls throttle body....come single,lowest 4bbl throttle body you can find & tiny aircleaner might work
vn heads cleaned up maybe larger intake valve

4000rpm stally although I ran 4500 stally & felt that 11.1 cr + 5k stally would have been killer on the track.

3.7 diff gears might work with shorter th700 first gear. but doubt top gear will like it cruising.

That being said f280,10.7;1,harrop single,750dp,4500 stally,4.56 gears on 27' rear tyre was surprisingly streetable yet farkin' wild when given jandal...it would go to 7k if wasn't careful which is scary for 2 bolt 355.

H

harrop.senator

Mine span the first main at 7 with a h306 before I got it hahaha.

That's why I'm just leaving it to 6600 in mine.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
come single plane probably best flowing of low single planes....edelbrock elbow & ls throttle body...might with harrop single & modded elbow.

3.7 gears is tallest with 25-26 inch tyre...shorter the better as anythin with decent comp/cam will want to rev.

Going stroker wont reduce rev range at all if everything is done right just means broader torque range....only downside is if you like buzzing it over 6000rpm-7000rpm run the risk of walking the caps etc.

They'll make good power with enough money spent but then need havew all right things done to it so that they hold together.

Basics would be:
f280
10.5 to 11.1
good single plane,elbrock elbow,ls throttle body....come single,lowest 4bbl throttle body you can find & tiny aircleaner might work
vn heads cleaned up maybe larger intake valve

4000rpm stally although I ran 4500 stally & felt that 11.1 cr + 5k stally would have been killer on the track.

3.7 diff gears might work with shorter th700 first gear. but doubt top gear will like it cruising.

That being said f280,10.7;1,harrop single,750dp,4500 stally,4.56 gears on 27' rear tyre was surprisingly streetable yet farkin' wild when given jandal...it would go to 7k if wasn't careful which is scary for 2 bolt 355.

I had a TP single plane on my VS when I bought it with a 4bbl TB. It was a fair while ago but I can't see how an elbow would fit unless you have a really bad elbow.
The best single TB to 4bbl intake elbow is the Wilson Manifolds one and it's quite tall.