Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Manual Steering Conversion Requirements

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Hey guys/girls, wanting to change my VN over to manual steering and just need to know what is required. I am lead to believe all I need is the VL manual steering rack and intermediate shaft but just need confirmation the VL intermediate shaft bolts to the rest of the VN steering shaft. Also, does anyone know of any wreckers that may stock the manual steering intermediate shaft from a VL, there is only one on ebay I can see.

Thanks.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
You will need an idler pulley to replace the power steering pump. Why would you want to go manual steering? VL manual racks are a bit hard to find I was told by my local wreckers when I was building my car.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I won't need any idler pully. Manual rack because it's cheaper, easier and more reliable than replacing all the power steering gear that is leaking and not working. Also I will then only have 1 belt for alternator which is a plus because I turn the thing to 7000rpm and throw belts occasionally.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I love it. Best conversion ever, going to manual steering. I did the same thing on my V8 VQ. Loved every minute.

You're never going to get tired of the feeling you get, reefing a big V8 through the hills with a manual rack. So much more feedback, so much more control. The only thing you'll find a shock at first, is that the steering is a little slower, so you'll not turn the wheel far enough at first on suburban roads. I almost drove off a few corners the first day after I did it!

The VL intermediate shaft will PROBABLY not bolt up to yours. I know some VN/VPs have different shaft upper couplings, and yours MAY be compatible with VL. Mine wasn't, but it's an easy conversion.

Have some pics re the intermediate shaft conversion. Note that I just used a small socket and a vice to push out the uni joints :)

mortonvq39.jpg

mortonvq40.jpg

mortonvq42.jpg

mortonvq43.jpg

mortonvq44.jpg

mortonvq41.jpg

mortonvq49.jpg

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Great pics, tells a thousand words thanks. Now I can just check what part I have on my column and worst comes to worst just change it if it's wrong onto the VL shaft.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Just looking at those pics again, I wonder if the VL shaft could be used upside down with the double ended clamp from the power steering rack?

sktnvr5.0_v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 304 t700, nissan gq patrol, ford laser;)
hey how did you go with the steering, get it sorted? im looking at doing the conversion atm

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
All done mate, scored a rack and shaft for $100 locally. I had to split the uni on one end of the shafts to make it match up but otherwise a bolt in fit. Loving how direct the steering is with 100% feedback.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
How did you actually split the uni? Trying to picture it in my head.... Not happening atm lol

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Good buy for $100! Ive got one in each car. Payed $75 for one and $100 for the other. But people are starting to realise the rarity or them and can often see them appear around $300.