Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN S1 Turning over but not firing

TimmosVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
Hi guys I'm having a it of troubles atm now last Wednesday my VN was going good, then the next day I started it up, and It was running rough it just sounded like it was running on four cylinders I reversed it and then drove it put it in park, I popped the hood as soon I opened it, it cut out and it now won't start, there is no spark I did the code check which it came up with 12 so now it's got me stumped, I know that the fuel pump works so I was wondering, could this problem be the coil pack/dfi-module that's what I am thinking, and plus the check engine light is on as well.

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
Hi guys I'm having a it of troubles atm now last Wednesday my VN was going good, then the next day I started it up, and It was running rough it just sounded like it was running on four cylinders I reversed it and then drove it put it in park, I popped the hood as soon I opened it, it cut out and it now won't start, there is no spark I did the code check which it came up with 12 so now it's got me stumped, I know that the fuel pump works so I was wondering, could this problem be the coil pack/dfi-module that's what I am thinking, and plus the check engine light is on as well.

If its now showing the engine warning light chances are it should be at least chucking some sort of code now.

It seems like a spark issue to me and your probably on the money with the coil pack or dfi being faulty.

Really its just a case of trial and error now pulling bits off and replacing them as you go till you get it going. Try replacing the coil pack and see what the result is, you can usually buy them from the wreckers for bugger all money.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the check engine light is allways on when the engine isnt running.you may be lucky and have a code from the last time the engine was running but probably not.

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
WP_000562.jpg

+ 1 for coil packs

Mine just died after fueling up.

I filled up, paid, started car and was noting down figures in log book when it stalled.

Would not start again.

I was on the way to work for a night shift so I pushed it aside and got a lift home to get my wifes car.

Started the next day but only ran for long enough to drive it on a trailer.

Found these cracks in the coil packs.

New coil packs and DFI and all is good again.

TimmosVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
the check engine light is allways on when the engine isnt running.you may be lucky and have a code from the last time the engine was running but probably not.

checked the codes it came up with 12 - (congratulations you have a perfectly healthy Vn Commodore)

My money is on the coil pack - dfi module but i am going to borrow my uncle coil pack out of his vn and put it mine and see if it starts

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i keep a spare set of coil pack on the ready. id had a set fail pulling out of the driveway one day, had it fixed in under 10 minutes...

TimmosVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
It is coil pack that **** it self coz it just blew a hole in it it's cylinder 3&6 on the coil pack :)

TimmosVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
Well it is the coil pack coz it started to heat up then cracked opened so it's absolutely r**ted

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
If the check engine light is on, the computer has detected a problem with the electronics. With the right procedure, you should be able to extract a fault code of which will steer you in the area of interest. Vn's have their common problems. Crank angle sensor could be the cause of your problem. If the crank sensor signal drops out, then the DFI module will not energize the coils and therefore, spark drops out. A coil pack on a VN will not usually cause a complete shut down of the engine. It will usually cause two cylinders to drop out because the VN uses whats called a "waste spark system" whereby each coil serves two cylinders simultaneously. You say the car wont run but the Check engine light is on. A check engine light will only illuminate when the engine is running and there is a detected fault in the system. Apart from when the ignition is on and then will extinguish when the engine fires up.