Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN won't start

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
Hi all I'm just wondering if someone else has had the same problem I have. Was trying to jump start me VN yesterday and all I got and a slow as **** whine over and when I put the key back to 'off' the starter would keep winding over for few secs. Only got the car started once by when it did this and turning g the key back and forth and dancing on the go fast pedal and car died again with a small touch of the throttle. Did have starter out a few days before (it tends to stick) but didnt see anything wrong with it. Please help its got me f#$ked

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
First thing is to replace Starter Motor,Solenoid may be on the way out,$100 on Ebay,then work back from there,ignition switch etc.
Jump Starts can fry the ECU and/or solenoids/relays so you have to be careful.

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
Yea but that's kinda $100 out a my price limit at the moment. Would it matter if car is a manual?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If it's manual are you able to roll start it? Will eliminate a few other possibilities

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
Na to much angle in the driveway need bout 5 people just get it to move ( yea I know pretty f#$ked spot to move it to lol) and not much chance to get it on the road at the moment cause I'm to lazy to change to springs over

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd suggest fully charging the battery before doing any more testing. If jump starting, hook up the car and then let it idle for a minute or 2 before trying to actually start the car, also have someone in the other car hold the revs up to about 2000rpm to ensure the alternator is at full voltage.

Also, cheap jumper leads with the very thin leads are crap as they just can't carry the current required to start a decent size engine with a flat battery attached to it.

I believe the manual engines have a shim between the starter motor and block, without the shim the pinion will bind on the ring gear which may well explain why it's staying engaged.

Also make sure all the battery terminals and main cable terminations are clean and tight (this includes the earth cables).

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
All of that iv tryed minus the fully charged battery. I know the shim is in cause I droped it on my face (lol) getting it back in. Did notice there was a slight gap between the starter the the block ( can't remember it being there before taking it out). I don't know its got me f#$ked

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
This car really has got me f#$ked but I think it kinda thanked me for finally changing the dented panel by starting. All I did was put the original battery (changed battery half way through jump starting the other day) back in and turned the key and BANG c#$t turned over straight away then fired up and ran like normal. THANK YOU to all how got back to me in this tread