Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp - 5 litre tradie ute

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not driven this much as brakes have been ordinary needed booster...found a spare had it tested by a brake mob then I fitted it all up after which turned out to be worse than one it replaced.FFS!!!

Bit the bullet bought vt m/cyl + booster upgrade kit so fitted that up today...several hours stuffing around test fit/remove/test fit finally got it all on but forgot to bench bleed & didn't want to remove it again so poured bottle of brake fluid in & fired it up.

Brakes better than old setup...does need major bleed but surprisingly easy to lock wheels up...should be even better when/if gets vt calipers on it.

Things to note -
Looks uglys as sin with brake line adaptors & factory lines too long + need bending.

If you can source au reservoir cap do it...just way too much angle with vt reservoir(low fluid light on might be switch issue or plug)

Clearances are not that crash hot....think I want to try vt m/cyl with vs plastic booster next time.

vt setup weighs 5.9kg,vp setup 5kgs & vs setup 3.5kgs (real reason wanted to go that way lol)

Ute is due for rego in July & needs bit more work done to it in order to pass...have more go fast bits just lack motivation to work on it in cold weather outside...can't see big new garage getting done untill next year & more focused on progress of the vk & hopefully sle progress in few months time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Forgot to mention bought vl n/a 6cyl 3.45 wagon diff for it...also got fibrglass replica SV89 airbox & 185i engine covers.

Broke the vp grille leaning into engine bay trying to get brake lines bolted up...so that needs to go on shopping list with new door seals lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Forgot to mention bought vl n/a 6cyl 3.45 wagon diff for it...also got fibrglass replica SV89 airbox & 185i engine covers.

Broke the vp grille leaning into engine bay trying to get brake lines bolted up...so that needs to go on shopping list with new door seals lol
You going to make the housing fit or are you just using the gears?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Would put up pics but seems fb link pics have all crashed.

Wagon diffs are straight bolt in for utes different bumpstops...plan on changing to car/wagon bumpstops so it can stay low not bottom out easily & besides won't put anything stupid heavy in this thing ever.

Vl wagon diff is 40mm(?) shorter so hopefully will tuck 15x7 with 255 tyre nicer yet also keep car sitting level instead of a hotrod rake yuck.

Really want allrounder 3.7 gears but if ever supercharge it 3.45 more suitable & original diff in it is a tired 3.08 single spinner with 240k on it & 2 oil changes in it's lifetime lol

Hopefully vl diff & 15x7 255/60/15 tyre combo will satisfy the cosmetic look I want for a few years...then maybe I'll do something stupids like a stronger narrowed diff custom 15x9 chaser 275/60/15 if it jams in there...split tubbed remember ;)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Spent some coin giving ol' girl a spruce up that nobody will ever notice but me haha.

New vp grille the broken item that I kept breaking & band-aid fix back on.

Drivers seat belt...was starting to fade & stray strands so no more ciggie lighter fix rego time.

Bought new plastic plenum cover....don't like lowe fab item with stock looking engine bay.

Still need to buy allen bolts to fit engine covers also work out why sv89 airbox doesnt sit flush on inner guard.

Not happy with vt reservoir after decent cruise & stomping on brakes in back streets it has spat out brake fluid on freshly painted booster.

Slowly slowly will get it back to where I can drive it without picking faults....feels like an old kingswood to drive lol

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Spent some coin giving ol' girl a spruce up that nobody will ever notice but me haha.

New vp grille the broken item that I kept breaking & band-aid fix back on.

Drivers seat belt...was starting to fade & stray strands so no more ciggie lighter fix rego time.

Bought new plastic plenum cover....don't like lowe fab item with stock looking engine bay.

Still need to buy allen bolts to fit engine covers also work out why sv89 airbox doesnt sit flush on inner guard.

Not happy with vt reservoir after decent cruise & stomping on brakes in back streets it has spat out brake fluid on freshly painted booster.

Slowly slowly will get it back to where I can drive it without picking faults....feels like an old kingswood to drive lol

where did you get the plenum cover from?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I thought they needed the vs or the au falcon reservoir for the conversions, to stop what happened to you from happening?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
where did you get the plenum cover from?

Rare Spares....think they let me in on 10% discount thing.

I thought they needed the vs or the au falcon reservoir for the conversions, to stop what happened to you from happening?

Dude who sold me kit claimed it would be ok...looks shite as fcuk.

Vs reservoir doesn't look like a proper fit needs modding by looks of it & if can get a new au reservoir it will fit properly but also be able to use bolt on side to keep it on.

Next one want to try with vs booster & Racebrakes angled spacer for vt m/cyl...not sussed it out 100% also don't know if my vs booster can be recoed yet.

Ps...Rare Spares replacement seatbelt looks nothing like factory item so have buy other side to match but moreso pissed at how brittle interior plastics are.

Another thing found out if you want door seals can only get grey....ofcourse this thing has beige/tan interior.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ute passed rego inspection....was surprised if you saw the size of the cobwebs & moss on the roof.

Good weather & gearing up for upcoming rostered week off took vl wagon diff to diff bloke who will put 28 spline lsd in to go with 2 narrowed down vs long axles.

It's getting welded up/braced rear lower control arms & most likey bc racing coil spring adjusters then button it up with adjustable whiteline reasr sway bar & top control arms.

Also need to get new brake hoses plus switch brake reservoir to vs or au items & bleed brakes all over again...see how it all goes weather depending.

Going up to see progress on the silver vk next week.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
3rd & final dash rendition...

Had to splurge $200 on rare vp v8 level 2 dash(3rd)...bad cluster lens & odometer zeroed out,supposedly rebuilt by a sparky.

Original level 1 vp dash(1st) donated it's cluster lens & original speedo i'd put new odometer gears went into a vp v6 level 2 dash(2nd) from pick n payless years ago when ute was still a v6 but had started to play up & obviously wrong tacho.

Last 2 years had been on lookout for vp v8 dash that wasn't stupid money & could be visually checked before buying.

Still had to take all 3 dashes apart on dining table & used the best parts of each to make 1 dash...jeebus,seems to work ok so far.

Next up would like to fit new Rare Spares plastic plenum cover & hopefully other parts just to clear space out of garage.

Slow progress as usual.