Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VP V8 into 89 VN Series 1 (wiring issues)

[TOPGEAR]

PUNISHER :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS + VS LS1 ute + VF SS Ute + VE Calais V
hey i got a vp v8 and manual and put it into a vn v6.

problem is its a series 1 VN and 2 of the plugs on the body loom where the engine loom connects are different.

ive gone to the wreckers and got new plugs. ive wired up the one in the engine bay near the fusebox but im having trouble with the other plug under the dash near the ECU.

has anyone got a wiring diagram for vn v6 series 1 and a vp 5ltr so i know which wires are what.

ive matched up all the coloured wires except there is 1 pink wire left over (on the body loom) which is thicker than all the other wires. i dont know where on the v8 loom this wire goes.

dimsim87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn le 5L
hey i got a vp v8 and manual and put it into a vn v6.

problem is its a series 1 VN and 2 of the plugs on the body loom where the engine loom connects are different.

ive gone to the wreckers and got new plugs. ive wired up the one in the engine bay near the fusebox but im having trouble with the other plug under the dash near the ECU.

has anyone got a wiring diagram for vn v6 series 1 and a vp 5ltr so i know which wires are what.

ive matched up all the coloured wires except there is 1 pink wire left over (on the body loom) which is thicker than all the other wires. i dont know where on the v8 loom this wire goes.
Did you get this sorted because I've same issue now.?

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Did you get this sorted because I've same issue now.?
What plug/wire? Near the ecu or for the ecu? If it's a plug near ecu then it would be the diagnostic plug. If it's a thick pink wire then it could be ECM IGN.+ wire. Need more info.

dimsim87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn le 5L
It's the two plugs above the ecu one is aldl and other is one of concern it's totally different too the dash one in my car that was originally a 1990 V6 and an update I got it started today however Ru ning very rough, popping and farting and even kept going when I turnt key off, think that maybe timing.?

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the two plugs above the ecu one is aldl and other is one of concern it's totally different too the dash one in my car that was originally a 1990 V6 and an update I got it started today however Ru ning very rough, popping and farting and even kept going when I turnt key off, think that maybe timing.?
Yeah definitely check timing is at 10 deg btdc in diagnostic mode.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a vn/vp v8 workshop manual with wiring diagrams that I can dig up that may help. Will try upload later.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
yes one is aldl (6 pin) and the other is body/dash (9 pin) going to dash and gearbox which should be the same for V6/V8

What ECU/memcal for did you use as issue could be from auto/manual with running rough condition

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try this

Attachments

• VN VP Standard Connectors.pdf
    475.8 KB · Views: 113

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Adding to your reply @Forcedvp there is also a wiring difference with connectors.

VN series 1 is different to VN series 2 (same as VP), dimsim87 did"t say what model engine/loom is out of

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adding to your reply @Forcedvp there is also a wiring difference with connectors.

VN series 1 is different to VN series 2 (same as VP), dimsim87 did"t say what model engine/loom is out of
Good point.