Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS 3.9 diff ratio.

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
Hi there, I have a VR SS and am going to get the diff ratio changed from 3.08 to 3.9 by Total Traction Drivelines in Moorabbin, Vic. The car is an auto but will be converted to manual later when I get time. It has a very mild cam, heads cleaned up, etc. The car is not a daily driver, it only gets used occasionaly, so highway cruising or fuel economy doesnt' matter. I have read heaps of threads tonight on the subject but what I would really like is to get some feedback from people who have done the ratio conversion. Are you happy with it or would you prefer to have gone 3.46 or 4.1 for example. I dont want a 1/4 mile weapon, just hoping to make it go a bit harder.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Whilst I can't give you feedback on the ratio change, I can give you feedback on Total Traction Drivelines.
They rebuilt my 3.08 LSD about a year or so ago. I was so impressed by their professional and friendly service, the way they spoke to me about the diff really sounded like they enjoyed and knew exactly what they were doing. It's always a good sign when they have rally cars, four wheel drives and race cars up on the hoist, gives me faith in them being able to rebuild a little LSD on a VS Ute!
A year later the diff is strong and tight as ever *touchwood*
You probably know all this already, just chucking my 2cents in !

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
Thanks for the reply tim005, I agree with you. They rebuilt my LSD about 5 years ago and its still tight as a drum, approx 60,000km's later. After talking to Matt, I knew my car was in good hands, and 5 years later it is still like new.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Thanks for the reply tim005, I agree with you. They rebuilt my LSD about 5 years ago and its still tight as a drum, approx 60,000km's later. After talking to Matt, I knew my car was in good hands, and 5 years later it is still like new.
Couldn't agree more mate. I will definitely be taking any future cars back there if I ever have to.
Good luck with the ratio change, hopefully it adds a bit of poke to the old girl !

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
ive 4.11s in a vn v8 auto. like you not a daily so economy not a concern and i love it.

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
Paid for the gears today. Once they arrive, I will book the car in to have them fitted. I will give an update when fitted. Hopefully it is the best $1400 iv'e spent.

Jaydon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS Commodore
hello I'm new to Just Commodores I am trying to post a new one but I can't find out how to, anyway I'm looking for a thread with maybe a walkthrough or how to remove my diff, I have a VR SS manual 5 speed LSD IRS any help would be greatly appreciated even if someone could point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I'm guessing you're talking about removing the whole diff.

Some of the bolts can be a pain to get to. I think some people drop the k frame but I can't be bothered. You also need to be able to spin your wheels to get to all the driveshaft bolts.

I wrote this in another thread, it's how I get the bolts undone. I'll copy and paste it for you...

The 2 17mm bolts towards the front of the diff can be a massive pain in the arse. On both my cars I couldn't fit a socket on them. So I cut the open end off a spanner and stuck a jack handle over it to get the torque to break the stud lock. The 2 bolts at the rear you can get easy with a breaker bar. (if you havn't already got a breaker bar get a 600mm long one. 750 is too long to fit in for the diff bolts)

Here's my special diff spanner!
13884626185100_zps41b2e53e.jpg

Also get a thread tap for your axles before you put the diff in and run it through. They quite often get thrashed by previous owner's who can't get the bolts in straight!

Some people might have a better way of doing it but it worked for me lol.

Hodgey01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss commodore v8
Hi there, I have a VR SS and am going to get the diff ratio changed from 3.08 to 3.9 by Total Traction Drivelines in Moorabbin, Vic. The car is an auto but will be converted to manual later when I get time. It has a very mild cam, heads cleaned up, etc. The car is not a daily driver, it only gets used occasionaly, so highway cruising or fuel economy doesnt' matter. I have read heaps of threads tonight on the subject but what I would really like is to get some feedback from people who have done the ratio conversion. Are you happy with it or would you prefer to have gone 3.46 or 4.1 for example. I dont want a 1/4 mile weapon, just hoping to make it go a bit harder.
I'd be interested to know how you go changing the ratio. I have the 185i vr ss hsv spec , as the 3.08 diff , the car takes off from the line like a slug. By having the 185i spec I would have thought that it be a little more punch off the line but it's not all that great , I had a standard vp SS many years ago now 5.0 even with no extractors and as far as I knew it was stock as a rock but that thing was insane with power. It would knock off any 215i vr/vs commo's with ease. As far as I know that one was a 165kw. It used to keep up with the gen 3s. For some reason it blew away all other SS with ease , maybe it was just a freak engine but little did I really know till I had to sell it for financial reasons. After my financial situation improved so five yrs ago I got the vr SS and was really a dissapointment and I'm actually thinking of a diff ratio change , as you I don't drive her much and a lot of advice ppl have given me as a simple power fix is the ratio changed

Hodgey01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss commodore v8
ive 4.11s in a vn v8 auto. like you not a daily so economy not a concern and i love it.
Would the 411 be the best bet then as opposed to 3.9 ? The 3.08 with mine , feels like I could run faster on its take off from the line , it's a 185i vr ss hsv spec and am not all that impressed with the way it is?