Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Remember these are street cars that live on street not an engine on dyno for youtube...you can do things to street car that barely make a difference on dyno yet feel heaps better on street.

Losh budgets can blow out big time like if heads have trashed valve seats or larger valves that are lighter..different deck heights affecting chamber cr ratio or valve tip heights all over place requiring spring shims or tip grinding...heaps of stuff most won't do or take notice or even care about.

Kind of why labour & machining costs look steep when you go to someone good who knows their shite & gets the results reliably...also why I either go all bolt on mods for stockers or 100% other way heavily modified

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It all comes down to budget. I have a set of big valve heads that have two bent valves I've been thinking about using them. But the engine had a big cam and was too revvy for my liking. I would rather the low down torque gains of alloy heads and more compression so I can work the T56 with lower revs and only rev it out when I need the extra powa.

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
There are better cams available today than ol' 286...try camtech range.

Factory cast heads with 2.02 valves & mild portwork or just cleaned up will do the trick.

If it were mine I'd have gone easier 355,10.5-11:1 cr,maybe f280 or tighter camtech recomendation,clean up cast heads with larger valves & come single plane.3.7 gears...streetable weekender combo that'd make mince meat out of a t5.

383 is nice to have just means more coin & a lot more labour involved.

Are you putting all parts together or engine builder giving you list of parts?
yea still not rushing into cam or anything just yet.. still need a lot of $, to many bills coming in..
I've actually being following another similar build of 383 and I've been very happy with the results of this particular build

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Shane: 10'ish cr + stroker with suitable cam(284 or camtech version) & shorter 3.7 diff gears with cleaned up heads,bolt on rockers & bananas will do it easily.

Anything bigger banana intake will hold it back before headwork.

StrokedLyfe: Have you actually visited an engine builder or machinist for a chat to discuss what you want & your budget?

It can be eye opening experience so you want to both understand each other or can turn into shocker lol

Last edited:

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
Shane: 10'ish cr + stroker with suitable cam(284 or camtech version) & shorter 3.7 diff gears with cleaned up heads,bolt on rockers & bananas will do it easily.

StrokedLyfe: Have you actually visited an engine builder or machinist for a chat to discuss what you want & your budget?

It can be eye opening experience so you want to both understand each other or can turn into shocker lol
yea the banana's will be going.. already have a twin throttlebody from "come" and will check out camtech
yea mate ive had some pretty extensive chats to engine builder aswell as my supplier.. i know the lane im going down lol

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Agree he needs to consult a race engine builder like TK or HPE Pete.

I'm planning on trying to port the bananas if I can failing that I will run a TP dual plane with 4 barrel TB.
Plan is to have a nitrous kit under manifold.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yea the banana's will be going.. already have a twin throttlebody from "come" and will check out camtech
yea mate ive had some pretty extensive chats to engine builder aswell as my supplier.. i know the lane im going down lol

You will want enough cam to keep power rising to 6k anything less will be a depressing engine imo.

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
yea, i would like it to go around 6k to 6.5k.. think that would be ideal

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There are several good engine mobs in NSW that will build a good street engine.

Dude you'd be shocked how basic the parts in my 355 for the power it has & very streetable on the street with f280..sounded like a monster,leaked like a mofo.

Build right at 5k be enough rpm to stay sideways...

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
Build right at 5k be enough rpm to stay sideways...
ahaha yea aint that the truth... but to be honest im not interested in going sideways.. althought thats fun.. for me its more going down that 1/4 mile and still having something reliable that drives at the end of the day.. (not saying yours isnt reliable)