Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 to LS 1/2 or Iron Lion 5.0v8

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
I’ve got a mint auto VR V6 <50k kms sedan, 1 owner chariot that I’m thinking of re-powering. (Im not a V6 hater at all, but once you’re have V8’s you’ll never turn back haha). The chances of finding an affordable 1 owner V8 <50k kms is out of my budget!

Without knowing the ins & outs of the current driveline capabilities, is it possible to to engine swap to either LS or 5.0ltr engine platforms using the same trans (happy to understand the limitations of the V6 trans or upgrade). Or what should I be looking for that fits within the std VR/VS engine & trans tunnel & integrates with factory speedo & gear selection operation. I was thinking LS 2 (or more likely L98) running std factory ECU @ 270kW. Just a sleeper that starts, idles, drives and looks good. Ideally I want plug & play without the need to go aftermarket ECU.

I’m aware I will be engaging an engineer to make it legal.

Thanks in advance,

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 auto is no good with either V8, different input shaft and bellhousings.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
LS and a 4l80e

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Otherwise 355", 4l60e and guaranteed minimal issues to get registered.

This for the absolute best sounds and character of the choices !!!

LS1 for easier go/grunt , ( lots of conversions out there ) , and still use 4160e ,

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I have done ls1 & 4l60e into a vs. It’s straight forward process with the muscle garage conversion kit.
i used vy engine & trans , vy ecu with vats delet. You’re going to need a tail shaft and exhaust made other than that it’s pretty easy to do yourself at home.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Honestly think 6l/6l80e setup would be killer if intending on sleeper type of car...extra work worth the effort

300rwkw with air con & p/steer etc

304/4l60 or ls1/4l60 would be easier to install but bigger Ls engine crap all over 5.7....got jealous everytime drove a 6.0 or 6.3 then hopped back into my modded ls1 cars....grr