Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS Caprice roof wiring

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hey guys I'm after a diagram of the roof wiring for a VR or VS Caprice. Mainly after the roof mounted stereo controls, and what the six wires coming from there are for. Also are buttons on the controller meant to light up when the headlights are turned on?
Also the roof mounted speakers are controlled by the H/U not the factory amp, is this true???

Thanks guys, any info would be great.

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
i have the caprice roof and the unit doesnt light up as far as i know i have 3 and none light up
the unit wires up from the loom to the stock head unit and will not work directly to a after market one without you wiring into the aftermarket one with a spliter/relay.
the 4" speakers work from the head unit and not the amp
as for the wiring diagram i will try to find mine so u know what wores go to where.

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
there is a plug for 6 pins on the control, but there is only 5 wires that go into the control from the loom.
the coloured wires are black.grey.white.yellow (SPACE) white/black
i cant find follow the loom but id say the plug on the stereo loom on a caprice behind the facia panel will have these colours on the plug

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Thanks mate! Thats what i needed to know. I didn't think the unit lit up but it would be cool if it did. Sorry to bug you with more questions but...
1) How do the lights in the mirriors work?? I can't see any trace of wiring that goes into them
2) Do you know anything about the rear mounted speaker pods in a Caprice?? Whats the deal with the wiring in them going to a hole with some terminals??? Am I missing a part?

Thanks meany!

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
1) im pretty sure they connect to the centre light power, and they have a switch in them that triggers when they open, Dave(meanvn) would propably be able to tell you exactly because i know he's played around with them.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Just found out that the Caprice roof controller does indeed light up. If you use Meanvn's wiring, and the first wire is from the left. Once power is applied to the solid black wire and the white wire, the unit lights up!!!
Unless the bulbs are stuffed, and they are the same as used in the VN - VS trip computers and they are hard to find brand new.
Hope this information helps!

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
i have a bag of spare bulbs. i might have to open them up and see if mine are blown. also with the mirrors lighting up by memory its the orange/black wires that plug onto the metal rods behind the mirror(it looks like a hinge but they need the wires with the round plugs put on them.
the 2nd question sounds like what bud said, there for thegrab handles with the eyeball socket lights.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
i have a bag of spare bulbs. i might have to open them up and see if mine are blown. also with the mirrors lighting up by memory its the orange/black wires that plug onto the metal rods behind the mirror(it looks like a hinge but they need the wires with the round plugs put on them.
the 2nd question sounds like what bud said, there for thegrab handles with the eyeball socket lights.

Do you have a pic of the plugs??? please.

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
radio control
DSCF4998.jpg

sunvisor lights
DSCF4999.jpg

DSCF5001.jpg

roof speakers
DSCF5006.jpg

mirrors
DSCF5003.jpg

DSCF5005.jpg

grab handle eye ball lights
DSCF5007.jpg

this plugs behind your right front pillar where your roof light plugs into.
DSCF5008.jpg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Thank you very much meanvn (dave)!!!!!!
That's the stuff I needed!
When I find the cable that goes to my phone, i'll put up some pics as well. I've also made a custom caprice roof loom, before I had you info. So It looks like I didn't need 4 wires going to the mirrors. And just for reference, the two wires on the mirrors: One is ground and the other goes to power? Is there a switching wire? or does it run off the rear map lights and is operated by the switch on the side of the mirrors?
Also positive rep for you mate!