Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Also wanted to run this idea by you guys.

You know about those exhaust cutouts

Like these

1655258652114.png

I'd like to use 3 of them.
1. on the exhaust, in front of the rear muffler, ideally I'd like a big muffler on it to keep it quiet on the street.

and on the rotary dial on the dash, have street set on Number 1. So the cutout forces the exhaust through the muffler.
but on 2 or above, it's open to atmosphere.

That's pretty much a no brainer for the exhaust,

But I was thinking was adding one to each screamer pipe.

So I can have the the screamer pipe either going to atmosphere or back into the exhaust.

Operated on the same rotary dial above, On setting 1. it goes back through exhaust.

But above 2 haltech opens it to atmosphere.

There's 2 options for exhaust cut outs.
1. electronic. Apparently Varex has a good name for doing this.

2. Pneumatic
I think the idea would be to get the actuators as far away from the gate as possible to reduce as much heat as possible.

Not sure how either would hold up to the heat generated etc.

Idea being, on the street it's pretty quiet.

But turn the rotary dial above 1 and it all opens up and gets max performance and sound.

I'm having trouble finding someone who's done it.. which most likely means it's not a great idea and too much heat.

any ideas?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Also wanted to run this idea by you guys.

You know about those exhaust cutouts

Like these

View attachment 238813

I'd like to use 3 of them.
1. on the exhaust, in front of the rear muffler, ideally I'd like a big muffler on it to keep it quiet on the street.

and on the rotary dial on the dash, have street set on Number 1. So the cutout forces the exhaust through the muffler.
but on 2 or above, it's open to atmosphere.

That's pretty much a no brainer for the exhaust,

But I was thinking was adding one to each screamer pipe.

So I can have the the screamer pipe either going to atmosphere or back into the exhaust.

Operated on the same rotary dial above, On setting 1. it goes back through exhaust.

But above 2 haltech opens it to atmosphere.

There's 2 options for exhaust cut outs.
1. electronic. Apparently Varex has a good name for doing this.

2. Pneumatic
I think the idea would be to get the actuators as far away from the gate as possible to reduce as much heat as possible.

Not sure how either would hold up to the heat generated etc.

Idea being, on the street it's pretty quiet.

But turn the rotary dial above 1 and it all opens up and gets max performance and sound.

I'm having trouble finding someone who's done it.. which most likely means it's not a great idea and too much heat.

any ideas?
Whats your tuner (Baz) think about it?

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hey @peteinoz i did a little research and Mini Tubs are a no no in Qld but..... can have them in NSW....so maybe see if you can register it at your mums place in NSW.

Apparently the Nanny State is getting harder on modified cars....
Which will be your cross roads, to keep it on the road or just the drags...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tbh done strategically you'd get same amount of clearance with oxy & sledgie belting it in for clearance only in couple of sections where tyre will rub as you would doing split tubs like mine.

Not got ute back yet but showed a mate with vs ss ute he couldn't tell difference other than shiny paint untill I pointed out how it was done...underneath you'd notice differences if put another ute next to it on a hoist though :confused:

I reckon just have cutouts before mufflers set to open 3/4 or full throttle lol

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Does that mean even with an engineers certificate = a no no ?
If soo this country has become a bunch of fxxkin nanny do goody wanking cxxks .
Also brought about by fxxkwits that don't accept responsibility for their actions= try and claim!!

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Hey @peteinoz i did a little research and Mini Tubs are a no no in Qld but..... can have them in NSW....so maybe see if you can register it at your mums place in NSW.

Apparently the Nanny State is getting harder on modified cars....
Which will be your cross roads, to keep it on the road or just the drags...

thanks mate, much appreciated.
yeah that's what I thought, bummer, and with NSW. it's a roady every 12 months..

Plus my ol mum has had to sell her place.
So might try to keep it as standard looking as possible for now.

Hey I saw on your ute thread, some adjustable rear springs.. that fit in place of the original.. with the adjuster inside the rear springs.
Never seen those before.. going to look around to see if I can find some, right now I've got standard springs in mine. Was going to just cut them, but will not look for similar to what you got etc. they look excellent.

these adjustable rear springs here, copied from your thread.

1655375920404.png

Last edited:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Tbh done strategically you'd get same amount of clearance with oxy & sledgie belting it in for clearance only in couple of sections where tyre will rub as you would doing split tubs like mine.

Not got ute back yet but showed a mate with vs ss ute he couldn't tell difference other than shiny paint untill I pointed out how it was done...underneath you'd notice differences if put another ute next to it on a hoist though :confused:

I reckon just have cutouts before mufflers set to open 3/4 or full throttle lol

yeah I guess I'll just bash away at it, where it's scrubbing etc. and see how we go.. best to stick to the 235/245 classes anyways LOL

deffinetely having one before the rear muffler for sure.. and it's on a switch anyways, so can open it at any time.

but want to keep it quiet around where I live, best not to annoy my neighbours.. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have factory springs, there are far better options out there just in the way of coils. Decent coils were under $200 when I bought mine.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Does that mean even with an engineers certificate = a no no ?
If soo this country has become a bunch of fxxkin nanny do goody wanking cxxks .
Also brought about by fxxkwits that don't accept responsibility for their actions= try and claim!!

agreed-will-ferrell.gif