Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Problems, Problems and even more Problems!

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Where do I start! Been having some problems with my VS Berlina, at first it was alright and I could put up with it, but now it's getting worse.

First of all, the windscreen wipers. When you turn them on, they go up, they stop. They do not return unless you turn them off and back on again. But then once they go up again, they stop.
I have replaced the wiper stalk, had the windscreen wiper motor checked by an auto elec, problem still persists.

A more recent problem, the climate control. I had it set on 16 degrees on a very hot day, it wasn't cold enough so I put it down to 'C', then it was fine. But.. the A/C ended up getting so cold that I needed to turn it down, and that's saying something on a 45 degree day. I put it up to 18 degrees, still much too cold, put it up to 21, still too cold, put it up to 26, still cold, put it up to 30 and it was still cold, but just right. Now I know that if I have to set the climate control to 30 degrees on a 45 degree day, something has to be wrong with it. Also the fan was constantly on high and wouldn't turn down unless I completely switched it off.

Then today I took it for a cruise, climate control was set on 21 degrees, I took off flat out down this road, and the car had a slight vibration through it and felt like it was really lacking power. I looked down and noticed a cross symbol appear on the climate control, then I backed off and it went away, and it felt like the heater came on. All of the sudden I could smell coolant very strongly, but I kept going because the temperature gauge was still normal. When I got to where I was going, I opened the bonnet and couldn't see or smell coolant anywhere, but could smell it in the car pretty strong. Also noticed whenever I give it full acceleration, the cross comes up in the climate control.

Vents also open and close at random times, if you have it set to face, (even displayed on the climate control), it closes the vents and opened them all the time for no reason.

So, I don't know what's going on, anyone have any suggestions or anything?

Cheers,
Ben

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
No idea on climate control issues,the wiper could be one of the control arms has broken away from one of the pivot points...if this is so you will still hear the motor turning over but the wipers will stop at the end of the stroke
the smell of coolant in the cabin when heater or air is on will most likely be the heater core is leaking..

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Really gotta be a process of elimination, first thing to try and get hold of is a climate control unit and swap it over to see if that cures it, pity I have a spare I would lend you but your not in SA. If that's not it you then I think there is an ambient temp sensor, wiring etc.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Don't think it's the control arms because they work fine on 'high' mode, just on low or intermittent.

Thought the heater core would have been the problem, looks like the dash is coming out.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Don't think it's the control arms because they work fine on 'high' mode, just on low or intermittent.

Thought the heater core would have been the problem, looks like the dash is coming out.
Bugga pulling the dash, cut and shut job takes about 3hrs to do (check out the how to section) assuming your not intending to burn through a set of rear tires with the motor pegged on redline the cut job works well, did mine nearly 2 years ago and its been fine.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey guys,

Where do I start! Been having some problems with my VS Berlina, at first it was alright and I could put up with it, but now it's getting worse.

First of all, the windscreen wipers. When you turn them on, they go up, they stop. They do not return unless you turn them off and back on again. But then once they go up again, they stop.
I have replaced the wiper stalk, had the windscreen wiper motor checked by an auto elec, problem still persists.

TBH, it sounds like the wiper motor. Try a 2nd hand unit and see what it does.

A more recent problem, the climate control. I had it set on 16 degrees on a very hot day, it wasn't cold enough so I put it down to 'C', then it was fine. But.. the A/C ended up getting so cold that I needed to turn it down, and that's saying something on a 45 degree day. I put it up to 18 degrees, still much too cold, put it up to 21, still too cold, put it up to 26, still cold, put it up to 30 and it was still cold, but just right. Now I know that if I have to set the climate control to 30 degrees on a 45 degree day, something has to be wrong with it. Also the fan was constantly on high and wouldn't turn down unless I completely switched it off.

If you pull out the climate control unit you should see a small black pipe connected to the back of it. If you have a look at where this pipe is connected at the bottom of the climate control unit you will see a resistor hanging down in the port (the air blows through it into the cabin). The climate control unit measures the air temperature here so if this sensor is covered in crap or the pipe isn't connected than it doesn't know what the temperature of the air is.

There is a guide somewhere that shows you how to use the climate control self diagnostic system. But I can't remember where it is.

Then today I took it for a cruise, climate control was set on 21 degrees, I took off flat out down this road, and the car had a slight vibration through it and felt like it was really lacking power. I looked down and noticed a cross symbol appear on the climate control, then I backed off and it went away, and it felt like the heater came on. All of the sudden I could smell coolant very strongly, but I kept going because the temperature gauge was still normal. When I got to where I was going, I opened the bonnet and couldn't see or smell coolant anywhere, but could smell it in the car pretty strong. Also noticed whenever I give it full acceleration, the cross comes up in the climate control.

Not sure on this one sorry.

Vents also open and close at random times, if you have it set to face, (even displayed on the climate control), it closes the vents and opened them all the time for no reason.

Cheers,
Ben

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Do the vents will change when you put your foot down and change back once you lift off the throttle? It's a common problem when the vacuum solenoids get old and worn out/gunked up. If you remove the centre console facia you will see a black vacuum module unit under the radio. This controls the vacuum to switch all the vents. If there is no vacuum it will default to the feet position. It's also not unheard off for some of he solder connections to fail in this unit leading to random switching of the vents.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Ben

It sounds like you have the electronic controller. I havent had much experience with it, does it still rely on the vacuum system?

With the coolant smell, i suspect you have a leak in the cabin somewhere. most likely the heater core. That leaking could have caused the other problems with the electronic climate system (electronics and water dont mix)

I may be way off, but that is my thoughts on it anyway.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thanks for the help guys.

Well it wasn't a good day for driving the VS today. The heater core completely let go and it sprayed coolant all over my legs and feet, carpet and even reached the door trim (I have photos), and it really hurt as well!

All the wiring under the heater box is covered in coolant, even signs of coolant around the fuse box, and coolant directly under the gear selector. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the new headunit as well. The car really doesn't want to drive now either, if you put your foot down, it just doesn't go anywhere. Thinking of just bypassing the heater core for now, just until I can find the time to fix it all up. Will upload photos soon.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
20140130_184941_zps03a83af2.jpg

20140130_185051_zps6a43b952.jpg

20140130_185104_zps022d9565.jpg

20140130_185927_zps755c887c.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member