Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 2 ECU

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@vs-lover will be able to answer if you have any two wire O2s. I suspect the info you have been given is wrong.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I have just been looking at my VS Volume 5 wiring book which was issued in April of 1995 and it already shows a wiring diagram for both 2 wire and 4 wire O2 sensors. So the Series 2 stuff is crap. I'm pretty sure you can use the later ECU in an earlier car. I stand corrected but the extra 2 wires are for the heating circuit which isn't all that important and is independent to the actual running of the ECU.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So they must have just used a 2 wire for the second sensor on VS as it was the first to have two sensors. The single four wire with heating circuit was already introduced in VR. But like you say it wasn't great at heating the sensor regardless.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't think a Series II PCM will make any difference a later memcal might as they tended to correct tuning problems as time progressed.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
thanks for the info, I wont bother with the police versions that are for sale
I take it you're looking at ebay? The "police tunes" from ebay tuners are usually there just to trick P platers out of money. Ebay tuners have historically been garbage, so unless it's original don't buy anything that's been "improved" from there.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I take it you're looking at ebay? The "police tunes" from ebay tuners are usually there just to trick P platers out of money. Ebay tuners have historically been garbage, so unless it's original don't buy anything that's been "improved" from there.

Totally endorse that comment.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the codes for the other models are anything to go by, then probably. AFAIK the ECUs themselves are largely the same, the differences between them are the blue memcal chips inside which you can take out and swap around. To my knowledge there haven't been issues running later models on earlier ECUs and tunes (minus whatever listed difference or model improvement there is), even with the different year models of transmissions that have been listed.

AFAIK the only difference in the Police tunes is that they have a higher idle speed to help the alternator feed the extra accessories the Police use. I have no idea what "RFI" means, apart from maybe some extra shielding. I do vaguely remember somebody mentioning there might have been some extra circuitry that meant it could support all speed sensors used for that model.

RFI means "Radio Frequency Interference"

Reactions: Lex

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Thanks everyone for the replies. No not interested in buying the police ones, was just curious. More interested in the stock series 2 V6 ones BWJ

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have been told the cop chips contain hens teeth + wooden rocking horse sh!t with a completely constructed shell of unobtainium.

I currently have a ChipTorque in my current daily VS V6 and do notice a bit better than stock performance and better fuel economy.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Hi, is someone with an Executive or S Pak automatic able to post a photo or tell me the codes that are printed on their ECU?

I changed my ECU some time ago in my Series 1 VS S Pak Automatic and was never really pleased with how the car started and idled on cold start.

I remember from memory that series 2 V6 Auto ECU had a better program then Series 1, so am wanting to fit a Series 2 V6 Automatic ECU into my Series 1.

Thanks in Advance
When you changed ECU's did you use the same number ECU as what was in the car originally ?
Why I ask is because I have a T5 manual VS which now is running on a Auto ECU (VT I believe) The Kalmaker Software Tuner did the tune on the Chip & sorted it all out. Now the only problem I find is on a trailing throttle yhe revs will blink up & down, the same as you find with a Auto Trans Commies. So even though I have a memcal tuned for manual operation in the ECU, it still has some operating traits from the Auto ECU so it seems.
I wondered if your ECU went from a Auto to Manual possibly ?