Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Chip re-programing

J

jc58nc

I assume you have taken the blue cover off the top of the memcal, you should see the 32 pin eprom and it has a small round window in the centre, that's normally covered by the sticker.
To remove the eprom it's a slow job with a very fine soldering iron, just lift the eprom a little bit and push the memcal pins down with the iron.
You can also build a 32 pin adaptor to go between the memcal base and the programmer and leave the eprom in the memcal but then you would need an UV eraser that you can sit the memcal over before you can do a rewrite.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Thanks Rob

Yeah , thats what I though , soldering iron ... Need to buy a new one , I only have a 80Watt job ATM ...

Looks like a 32pin Adaptor might be the way to go ...

The new Eprom Programer V PCB 4.5 looks like a good buy ....
Need to contact the seller first , see how he wants to be paid ...

Thanks Guys !

Matt

Josh Super6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S/C V6 A4
what brand and voltage etc are the factory VS chips?

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
i didnt think there was any definition files available for the vs? i could be wrong.

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
Best to replace the eprom with a flash rom. I replaced mine with a 29F010 chip, a 1mb flash rom. This programs easily with the Willem Programmer, takes about 1 second to erase the chip and 30 seconds to reprogram it.

As for removing the standard eprom from the memcal, use any soldering iron with a fine-ish tip, small enough that it can get onto the eprom pins. Then invest in some desoldering wick (only a couple bucks from Jaycar) and use it to remove as much solder as possible, then slowly pry the eprom up with a small screw driver. If any pins are still stuck, hit them again with the soldering iron and desoldering wick... a bit fiddly but doesn't take too long :)

As for knowing what to change in the chip with Tunerpro you'll need a definition file. There is one floating around and has been sent to a few people to put on their FTP sites but for some reason they haven't. It only has transmission info in it, and the main spark maps, oh thats right, I put it together too so if you want a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it to ya.

Josh Super6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S/C V6 A4
As Dr Bob quoted the eprom is a 27c010, 1 mbit, any brand will do, operating voltage is part of the specifications.

yer i know its a 27c010, i want to know what brand the factory chips are, so i can find the data sheet on it.

it seems the factory ones have a 12.5v programming voltage.

smaddock : cheers for the chip number. will get my hands on one. how much did you pay for it & where did you get it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Apart from spending the time to learn assembler (something I don't want to do), The American L67 ecu 16183247 seems to be one of the keys to knowing the VS ecu but I'd need the address's from the 16183247 to gain some more clues. The definition file for that ecu is out there somewhere...... But I don't have it yet

These are the tables to look for though and with some luck they will be in that order :p

http://www.tunercat.com/pdfs/ecm_$5B6.pdf