Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Actually I was referring to the flashing light on the dash of the car. Not the interface.
I was lead to believe that during communication a light flashes on the cars dash?
I'm a new owner and yet to plug anything into my VY2 so maybe I've read wrong somewhere?

And sure power consumption when left plugged in is something to look at for sure. But I would assume your device would be no worse then other continuously powered systems in the car.

Eventually I plan on running a 12VDC cable and socket into the car somewhere so I can leave a solar panel and regulator sitting on the dash when the car is not in use.
My car only gets run a couple of times a week if lucky so battery trickle is an important maintenance issue for me I guess.

.-.-.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
AFAIK ignition needs to be on to have the cable work at all - and engine running for live diags.

I could be wrong!

Also, wish I'd known there was talk of a BT/wireless unit. Be nice, especially if an Android version of the s/w was ever a thing or it could talk to Torque Pro.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Actually I was referring to the flashing light on the dash of the car. Not the interface.
I was lead to believe that during communication a light flashes on the cars dash?
I'm a new owner and yet to plug anything into my VY2 so maybe I've read wrong somewhere?

And sure power consumption when left plugged in is something to look at for sure. But I would assume your device would be no worse then other continuously powered systems in the car.

Eventually I plan on running a 12VDC cable and socket into the car somewhere so I can leave a solar panel and regulator sitting on the dash when the car is not in use.
My car only gets run a couple of times a week if lucky so battery trickle is an important maintenance issue for me I guess.

.-.-.
Ohhhhhh. I see what you mean. In that case, no there is no flashing lights in the car when logging live data. Plug it in, start logging live data and off you go driving as per usual.
You would be surprised how much power one little device can use if not told to "take it easy". So its something Ill need to look into eventually.

AFAIK ignition needs to be on to have the cable work at all - and engine running for live diags.

I could be wrong!

Also, wish I'd known there was talk of a BT/wireless unit. Be nice, especially if an Android version of the s/w was ever a thing or it could talk to Torque Pro.

Almost right!. The ignition needs to be on so that you can view the live data from the ECU. But the cable can be powered directly from the diagnostics plugs battery pin. This is how most diagnostic cables power them selves regardless of it the engine is on or off.

As for the bluetooth device. Its still in development so there no need to worry. Im actually only just 3D printing the prototype cases today to see how they fit and make slight alterations. Still a bit to go before its fully available.

I don't expect my own device to be put into other programs such as Torque ect as its too much hassle for developers. But it will be the heart and sole of all new programs I develop later on once I start getting these made up.

The bluetooth aspect is pretty much there for (eventually!) when I begin making iphone/android apps. But.. still have some ways to go with PC apps!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Oh but before I forget. I am intending to have a little bluetooth dongle (the tiny ones you get with bluetooth mouses these days) to be included so any laptop can connect up wireless if wanted also.

Ontop of that. Im in correspondence with a manufacturer of a little tablet, which Im hoping to use as a full kit. So it will be the tablet + envy cable + usb dongle, everything will be preinstalled and ready to go!.
And to top it all off, also looking for a nice little case for everything to go into. :beer chug:

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Awesome tool (SOE), have just ordered one up as I get the ocassional check engine light come up on my VX (LS1)
Just a quick question, do I need to have the light actively up to read the code or can I read it from the history.
Just be useful to know whether I'll need to keep my laptop in the car or not

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Awesome tool (SOE), have just ordered one up as I get the ocassional check engine light come up on my VX (LS1)
Just a quick question, do I need to have the light actively up to read the code or can I read it from the history.
Just be useful to know whether I'll need to keep my laptop in the car or not

You will be able to read the history fault codes to see what caused the light :spot on:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Very interesting thread and something I need to be involved with.
Can a member please tell me what Protocol a VF 2015 MY15 use.?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Very interesting thread and something I need to be involved with.
Can a member please tell me what Protocol a VF 2015 MY15 use.?

To be specific, your VF commodore communicates over the CAN protocol like all VZ's and VE's :beer chug:

hallb82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi there

I know this thread is years old but I'm trying to read from a vz commodore through a OBD2 ELM327 wifi unit on my iPhone on the dash command app.

I can connect to the car through the app but i cannot see any info such as rpm, fuel levels or MAF or MAP, nothing????? Has anyone had this problem. The app does not have holden listed but i selected the chevrolet omega????

Im obviously doing something wrong. Please help