Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VTV6 into Hilux- obd plug

blackvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Guys, I have just fitted a VT V6 into an old Hilux. I used an auto ecu , with the chip rewritten with a manual ROM and the immobilizer and fan functions switched off. The engine starts and appears to run ok.

Problem being is I cant seem to get the scan tool to talk to the ECU. I have wired an OBD plug using the pin 5 an6, and the 12v power and serial data pin. From what I can see, the check engine light runs from the body module.

Can any one suggest what I may have missed or not understood ?

As well, by not hooking up a speed sensor, will it affect anything apart from lean cruise at higher speed ?

Cheers Mike

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
what type of scan tool and software are you using.

blackvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I have a Modis SnapOn scan tool, and I tried a friends Launchtech. I dont normally have issues getting into VT's...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
double check you wired from the correct ecu pin for the output from the ecu.

blackvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Ok, I will try that. So I assume theoretically I have done the right thing. What can I do about the CEL ?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i thought it would be wired direct to the ecu like VS check engine light.i dont have VT wiring diagrams so cant really help there.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you might be out of luck then if thats the case would be handy having the check engine light thats for sure.see the output for the scantool should be on pin A3 while i was looking at the diagram on robs site you didnt connect to the diagnostic request pin by mistake wont get any aldl out of that one LOL.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
you need to have the BCM there to get data with the scantool, the BCM is the busmaster of the serial data & the PCM will not respond directly to a data request

Rob

blackvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Thanks Rob, So it appears I should have used the VS ECU instead of the VT ECU for the conversion ? From the wiring pinouts , it looks as though there is a fundamental difference between the two ECU's regarding data transmission ?

So at this stage I am unable to check codes or data with the VT ECU ?? .
Is there a possibility any thing can be written into the chip to facilitate this without the BCM ?

Thanks Mike