Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX clunk in front end when turning left

thepowerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Executive
Hi i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what a clunk in the front end of my VX would be.
The car has done 285000km and had a clunk in the front end usually when turning left and vibration and shuddering under braking for bout the last 3months. I have just gone through and replaced:
- Radius rod to Chassis bushes
- Radius rod to control arm bushes
- Sway bar link pins and bushes
- Strut top bushes and bearing
- Sway bar bushes
- Tie rod ends

after replacing the radius rod bushes the vibration and shuddering under braking has now gone, so i replaced the sway bar bushes and link pins and strut top bushes and bearings and today the tie rod ends and the clunk i had on the right side has gone but still clunking on the left side and i have run out of ideas, so if anyone has had a similar problem or an idea of what it is please let me know. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
have you checked for play in the front hubs? jack the car up & grab the top & bottom of the wheel,check for movement. then do the same for the left & right of the wheel(front & back or whatever you'd like to call it) also spin the wheel while its jacked up & listen for noise etc. if play is excessive replace. :)

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Also K-frame can come loose, its a simple fix- just tighten the bolts and your laughing. My olds mans VX had a clunk and that all it was.

thepowerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Executive
thanks heaps i will have a go at that tommorow and give it a go. i will also be replacing the control arm to chassis bushes later this week, but i will check the kframe and the the hub tommorrow and let u know thanks again

thepowerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Executive
checked the K-frame and nothing was loose, got the control arm bushes and lower ball joints replaced on friday and took her in for a wheel alignment yesterday and BINGO the clunking and rattling noises are gone, thanks for all your help :)