Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX or VY

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
Hey Guys, Im new to these forums, and ive got a question for yas.. Ive got an old VK commodore which has seen the light and its pretty much retired now lol.. Brilliant car it was..

But anyways ive been looking around for a new one, The part im stuck on and cant decide what to do is to get either a VX or VY Commodore, Whats the differences about them?, i heard the the motors are exactly the same? is this true? .. So which one should i get? . The price of each doesnt bother me, im just wanting a car that works better mechanically. I like the looks of the VY better, but not really wanting to pay extra for the interior, unless its mechanically better aswell. i heard something about the VY needing a service every 15,000km's and the VX needs it every 10k..

But anyways dudes i leave it at that .. So basically what do yas think is better a VX or VY Commodore?

Thanks again dudes!

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
VX and VY are pretty much the same underneath...I prefer the look of the VX, but if you like the VY, thats the one I'd be going for, mostly because its a newer car (hence why you pay more for a VY, VX's were made from 2000 to 2002, VYs were made from 2002 to 2004) However, if you want to get a VX, make sure you get a Series II - the Series II fixed a few problems on the Series I.

By the way, this is a good site to look at when comparing different Commodores, tells you about all the different drivetrain components, etc used on each model too.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Id go VX just cause they look better IMO

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I prefer the VY interior. It just looks nice IMO. The onboard computer under the speedo is also better. More programmable (I think).

How much do you want to spend on the next car? If you are going to get another commodore I would get a Berlina or Calais. The climate control is good and the extra features are very neat. If you are thinking VY executive/acclaim vs. VX Berlina/Caprice I'd go with the VX Berlina/Caprice. But the VY Berlina/Caprice are great looking cars.

I got another one I'd like to throw at you. Why not go for the WH or WK Statesman/Caprice? I've got the WK Caprice and its a fantastic car! The options you get with just the statesman are super. Both WM or WK.

The WM's are around $10,000, according to rebook, and the WK's are around $15,000.

Mike54

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hi there. Would like to find someone who can tell me how to disable the "Slow return to idle after the clutch is depressed" feature on my Manual VY. I have been told it was required on previous model to prevent stalling. However it is realy spoiling the driveability of the car. Ie engine revs do not back off between gear changes. I think the software would need to be altered or if used for nothing else maybe the clutch switch could be disabled. I cant be the onle one that hates this. Hope someone can help Regards Mike.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Hi there. Would like to find someone who can tell me how to disable the "Slow return to idle after the clutch is depressed" feature on my Manual VY. I have been told it was required on previous model to prevent stalling. However it is realy spoiling the driveability of the car. Ie engine revs do not back off between gear changes. I think the software would need to be altered or if used for nothing else maybe the clutch switch could be disabled. I cant be the onle one that hates this. Hope someone can help Regards Mike.

Sorry Mike I dont know enough about cars to help. But I think you should start a new thread rather then add this as a post in this thread. It is not really on topic with watch is discussed here. You probably will get a better answer if you start a new thread in the 2003-2004 commodore forum.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey guys thanks for the replys!.

i like the looks of the VY imo, mainly coz its got more edges and i think it looks tougher lol the multi-function cluster is cool too, Im looking at gettin a VY 2003 Berlina for $10k and its done about 180,000kms .. not sure if its good but it looks nice.

and yeh thats for the info about the series 2 VX's and the webby link there govz..

and @ anonymousmoose .. the budget is about 9000, but can probably stretch to about 11000, and yeh i was thinking about a Berlina as caprice's are a tad too expensive in the VY league. and i dunno about the looks of the interior in the VX's not that nice imo hehe.. another option i was thinking was a VX II S .. whats different with the S Series over a normal commodore? .. is the S Serires kinda like the XR6's with the fords? .. The Sporty model with extractors and stuff? .. or just bodykitted n thats about all?

So just summing it all up, both the VX and VY's are exactly the same mechanically, so im really just spending the extra money on the looks of it..

So another question, if something in a VY was to stuff up i could go to the wrecker and get a part from a VX and its likely to fit?.. Coz i was looking on ebay and there really isnt much stuff to choose from as far as parts go for a VY, but if i look up VX there is heaps of stuff. or is that coz VY's arent really popular?

lol sorry with all the questions, just wanna get to know exactly what im buying lol, and since both are completly different with the old VK i had its all new heh.. Thanks again guys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
and @ anonymousmoose .. the budget is about 9000, but can probably stretch to about 11000, and yeh i was thinking about a Berlina as caprice's are a tad too expensive in the VY league. and i dunno about the looks of the interior in the VX's not that nice imo hehe.. another option i was thinking was a VX II S .. whats different with the S Series over a normal commodore? .. is the S Serires kinda like the XR6's with the fords? .. The Sporty model with extractors and stuff? .. or just bodykitted n thats about all?

So just summing it all up, both the VX and VY's are exactly the same mechanically, so im really just spending the extra money on the looks of it..

So another question, if something in a VY was to stuff up i could go to the wrecker and get a part from a VX and its likely to fit?.. Coz i was looking on ebay and there really isnt much stuff to choose from as far as parts go for a VY, but if i look up VX there is heaps of stuff. or is that coz VY's arent really popular?

lol sorry with all the questions, just wanna get to know exactly what im buying lol, and since both are completly different with the old VK i had its all new heh.. Thanks again guys

Sounds like your more of a sports fan not luxury. You should be able to negotial about $10,000 for a VY S Pack. Although I prefer the berlina. Better interior then the S. Yet the S has a nicer exterior.

Here is a 'all states' search I did.
2003 HOLDEN COMMODORE S Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au

Once you know what you want, its all about having a look and being patient. Took me a few months to find my Caprice and I've been pretty happy for it. LOL, its 2 more years until my lease is up and I'm already doing research on BMW's. I like to know what I'm getting into before I buy.

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
My advice would be to go out and drive both. Decide which one you prefer when you are behind the wheel. As goVZ said, if you go VX you should get the series 2. Much better rear suspension set up and quite a few additional bugs ironed out! The series 1 had traction issues. As far as i'm aware, the VX2 and VY are essentially the same mechanically, so interchanging engine parts etc shouldn't be an issue.

In regards to your question to the VX S, it is basically an executive with a bodykit/wheels/FE2 suspension and a few luxuries like power windows/cruise control etc inside. Unless you get the supercharged 6, the performance is basically the same.

I am biased because I have a VX, so I won'y bore you on what I think looks better, because that is something you need to decide!

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey dudes, im thinking about a VY Berlina now, after talking to a few people and whatnot ive decided to look around for one, Since as you guys say the S Packs are basically just a bodykitted version thats been lowered, which i can do myself with any car, ive decided not to worry about them.
But yeh im thinking of a VY Berlina now, So the next question is, which year do you guys think is the best year for the VY Berlina's .. 2002, 2003 or 2004. As i can see their all exactly the same except the prices vary around +/- $1000 ... is there any year thats better than another? .. or are they all the same?..

Thanks again guys!