Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 Ecotec Engine Issues...stalling...HELP needed

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Asking for a friend...NOT REALLY! Is for myself but issue happened when my Son was driving car. Am/was not aware of any issues with the car...I've owned for about 7 years.it has 159K on it now...had 129K when I bought it. Has had regular maintenance.

He borrowed the car so he could help his Daughter move houses. I live at Long Jetty, her at Narraweena where my trailer was also parked.

So my Son collects the car drives down [100kms or so] hooks trailer to car, loads his Daughter's belongings and then begins the trip to relocate her to Newcastle [170 Kms?]

Only travelled about 12 kms; worst is now I can only relate his version of the events. He's nearing a set of lights at St. Ives and begins to slow down, then stops completely. Car stalls. He has a bit of trouble starting it [sputters, few crank attempts] it starts...all dash lights appear as normal...as he goes to accelerate away from lights...the right rear wheel starts spinning. He said he was only moderately accelerating from the stop at the Red light, but it seemed to him to feel and look [he checked rear view and said he could see smoke coming from the wheel well. Also said he did small the old rubber burn...as if he was trying to do a burn-out [doubt he was] so continues for about 3 more kms, car seems to be running right; no indication from dash lights of any issue, he's looking for a spot to pull over and investigate the problem...but very limited parking [he's somewhere in St. Ives/Kuringai Chase] but as he approaches another set of lights begin to go Amber.

He gingerly decelerates and stops at the Red Light and the car immediately stalls again. He says it took some time for him to be able to restart the car, but when he did he pulled over and parked as soon as he could. His Daughter is following him at this time; she rang him to say the back rear tyre was smoking.

He said the first thing he did once the bonnet was open...was to feel the Radiator Cap - he said it felt stone cold. Then he begins to try to see what's going on. He said couldn't smell any oil or overheating odour, but saw some brown liquid [from radiator?] on the Driver's side chassis rail. He's stuck in a dark spot, very little ambient street light, all he has is his phone. He takes a few pics then rings me and asks what's wrong with my car!!??

I can't really make out anything from the pics he sent to my phone. He tells me he thinks he can see a busted rubber hose [still with hose clamp still attached. I'm thinking a water pump hose or the like...but really have no idea as I'm not there to see it with my own eyes. He said he was going to ring his ex and ask for her help, which is what happened.

The VX was locked up and left where it was parked and their journey recommenced in another tow vehicle. Once home he emailed the pics t me, I downloaded and tried to expand them. Problem was each pic was limited in what it showed. Even looking at them enlarged; it is hard to fathom what happened.

He asked me if the Chassis Rail ran all the way to the rear of the car...I said I thought it did. He asked me if that would allow the liquid from the [presumably broken water hose] to run all the way to the rear tyre and this liquid was what caused the tyre spinning to occur. He also said he wondered if the tyre tread was low and that was why the wheel has spun; then in the next breath he says he felt the tyre and it seemed to have plenty of tread [ passed inspection 2 months ago; they were all still about 60 % new]

My guess is a busted/broken water hose...but I do not know as I couldn't view the car. What is the hose shown in the last pic [circled with a Yellow circle] that looks to me like the hose has broken from the [plasticky looking fixture...as the length of the plastic fitment where the hose should go...seems to me to be too short? I'm thinking the hose was clamped correctly and the plastic where hose fits over and is clamped...is what has broken...BUT HOW/WHY?]

Pic # 1 looks just about like it should? Hoses to Water Pump Housing appear intact [although a bit swollen - time for a change?] Pic # 2 shows Engine Coolant liquid that has leaked onto the Driver's Side Chassis Rail, but no idea where from...ALSO the item circled in Yellow...what is that? Is that part of the Heater Switch Mechanism? Or maybe...something todo withEGR or similar? Was I looking at the pic from the wrong viewpoint? Now that I check it again...the broken "Housing" and pipe still with the clamp on it...appear to have come from that <whatever it is> mounted on the Chgassis Rail. IF it was/is part of the Heater Switch mechanism...that would explain the Engine Coolant all over the Chassis Rail [Now am starting to hope the Ecotec shut itself down before any serious engine damage occurred.

Hoping some help will be forthcoming to explain what may have happened...consequences...FCUK! Still stuck with my car 100 kms away; no idea what's wrong...nor to go sabout trying to retrieve the car...and on a Public Holidasy too!!

Great timing...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 24

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like the heater tap
a flimsy plastic part in the cooling system
1713995087082.png

when it cracks all the coolant leaks out
thank goodness it stalled before seizing motor
as the engine overheats, things expand which seizes motor

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above. Broken heater tap. Plastic ages and fails with many repeated heat cycles.

Most likely it stalled because it was stinking hot and starting to lock up.

Surprised the temp gauge did not show an elevated reading.

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
As above. Broken heater tap. Plastic ages and fails with many repeated heat cycles.

Most likely it stalled because it was stinking hot and starting to lock up.

Surprised the temp gauge did not show an elevated reading.
I used Dr. Google..read plenty, but 1 particular poster offered the opinion that the Temp Gauge sender...is actually measuring the Temperature of the COolant...

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
DIDN'T GET TO FINISH...COULD NOT SEE HOW TO RETRACT AND EDIT...Anyways...he said the Temp Sensor is reading the temperature of the Coolant as it passes over the sensor...and if coolant is lost = no flow = low or normal temp reading...that sounds logical enough to me, but would like to have the veracity of the statement verified from other sources...anyone here agree to that theory?

Hired a trailer; did the 200 kms odd return journey; took a 10 litre container full of water with me; filled the car's system prior to driving onto the trailer and again prior to driving off...started the car no issues...all sounded oK...only time will tell??

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is correct, it reads the coolant temp but I would imagine there will still be some coolant in the system that turns to steam.

I've had a radiator tank fail and drop the coolant, not as quick as that failure would have but it did loose a lot of coolant and the gauge went to hot.

Not that it matters, you know the problem and the fix.

Reactions: Lex