Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy commodore strut tops

Nick_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vy wagon and 1999 vt sedan
hey guys, just replaced my front struts/springs with pre-assembled ones including new strut top bushes and when ive gone and installed them i have noticed that they have a large gap at the top. i have made sure that all of the nuts are tight and all of the washer are in the correct direction. just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. (here are some pictures and the parts that i used)

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 8.50.32 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 8.50.32 pm.png
    795.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 45

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Look's very wrong.
The top washer should be facing up from memory, and the nut under the top plate should be a thin but not a nylon lock nut.
Did you use a new nut or reuse the old thin one?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s been a number of diagrams posted on this topic recently.

Several threads where the reassembly has been muddled.

IMG_6225.jpeg

Who ever posted this originally is a legend. I took it and now share it also. Should help.

Nick_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Look's very wrong.
The top washer should be facing up from memory, and the nut under the top plate should be a thin but not a nylon lock nut.
Did you use a new nut or reuse the old thin one?
I didn’t assemble the struts, just checked them and for some reason one side washer is facing up and the other down. The nuts are also new that came with the assembly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It looks like something isn't assembled correctly. On the 2nd pic the top strut washer is upside down. On the 3rd pic something is very wrong.

Take the top nut off and retaining plate and have a look at the nut that is holding the strut together, it should a thin nut, my money is on that having a normal full thickness nut on it.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I didn’t assemble the struts, just checked them and for some reason one side washer is facing up and the other down. The nuts are also new that came with the assembly.
Did you sort out the problem? The new nuts could be the wrong type. I have always had to re use the old thin nuts to avoid this issue.

Nick_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you sort out the problem? The new nuts could be the wrong type. I have always had to re use the old thin nuts to avoid this issue
Hey just removed the nuts and top plates. Nuts seem to look ok just washers are different directions.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4727.jpg
    IMG_4727.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 36

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's a worry if somebody is selling struts that are not assembled correctly. Did you take any photos of the struts before you installed them?
Were the rubber strut tops definitely new? By the way they sit with the rod sticking up so high makes me think the strut tops could be old and squashed. And that washer needs to be flipped over.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Those washers do seem to be sitting high but then when you look at the pic of a new rubber strut top...
iu

Maybe it's right.

The cup washer on the drivers side is upside down as mentioned above.

Nick_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a worry if somebody is selling struts that are not assembled correctly. Did you take any photos of the struts before you installed them?
Were the rubber strut tops definitely new? By the way they sit with the rod sticking up so high makes me think the strut tops could be old and squashed. And that washer needs to be flipped over.
Nah i didnt take any photos before i installed them but the strut top rubbers are definitely new. ill flip the upside down washer around for starters.