Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] VY-VZ broken radio buttons

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi all

There another thread like this but I can't find it. Anyway, fixed mine this morning with some pieces of flexible plastic and a soldering iron. Gently pushed the tip of the iron through the flexible plastic into the switch housing.

a>

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
After 5 days and constant use, still holding and working fine :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if they break you can buy whole wheels on ebay for $40-50 with controls still attached.

What_Line?

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Sv6 Red
What is the best way to you found to remove the center cover from the steering wheel in order to get to the side of those tricky buttons?

Alternatively - how easy is it to change a steering wheel - keeping that air bag in mind?

Cheers

Jc

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi What_Line

I can partially answer your question - you need to remove the air bag but in my case I left it connected. To be safe, I did take off the battery positive and de-energized the system (headlight switch ON) just in case I touched something and set off the airbag. OK, battery disconnected, steering wheel turned the right until the slots behind the airbag are clear of the column cover. Insert a medium blade screwdriver into the slot and twist it in either direction while gently pulling on the airbag on the opposite side. The airbag should pop away (or unlock) at each 'corner'. Once you unlock it from the fourth slot, move the airbag should be free and able to sit off to the side while the steering wheel controls are at the bottom of the wheel. In my procedure above you don't have to disconnect any wiring. Hope this helps. By the way mine still working fine.

Oh and a suggestion - consider using a small amount of glue as well. Then the soldering iron once the glue is dry. In my picture above, I did the procedure on all three although the middle one was the only broken one.

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Did you remove your guide? I was just about to get around to fixing my buttons :supersad: