Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Lots of very good information is here however the anacdotal evidence of the last digits of the serial number in engineering mode matching the VIN is infactual and incorrect.The serial # of the cluster is the serial number of that cluster, nothing to do with the VIN however the serial # can be referenced *against* the VIN.Hope this clears that up.

Ive matched multiple VY clusters serial to the last digits of the VIN. Confirmed with owners that have owned the car from new. I cant imagine they have been lucky enough to simply 'swap' a random cluster in which that exact correct serial?.
Regardless if the Serial is "meant" to only be a serial, it appears they matched it to the VIN for VY commodores from the factory.

I believe VZ may be just a serial number though, and may not match the VIN. :beer chug:

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Hi Tazzi, just a follow up regarding my WK cluster into VX project. I've been able to link the PIM/BCM and the cluster is getting the engine stuff ok, but it's still getting the SRS airbag incorrect, rear lamp and fuse blown and occasionally alarm activated warnings. I can access the PIM and Cluster completely under 2003 with a Tech 2 (program cluster incl fuel, read engine codes etc), but not the BCM under 2003 which tells me it's a 2002 specific BCM and wasn't used in 2003 CV8s. On the flip side I can't access the PIM or Custer under 2002 but can access the BCM.

As you said the VX comms will confuse the WK cluster and produce errors. So if I replace my BCM (VX CV8 High) with a 2003 VY Calais High 211 BCM will it then send the right comms to the dash and stop the errors? I can't find what BCM was used by the CV8R, which would be EXACTLY the right BCM for the job as it used the same cluster as the WK, and is programmed right for LS1 Coupe Manual.

Also if I did replace the BCM is there anything else that will need to be replaced, like switches, sensors, Airbag modules etc because the 2002 VX/CV8 ones don't communicate properly with a 2003 VY BCM? I still want my airbags to work with the new cluster. I would prefer to replace as little as I need, so if it is possible to just replace the BCM and program that to what is already in the car that would be great.

I appreciate your advice and help. :)

euan

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Vy to vz wiring harness v6 2005

Hi mate have change everything from donor car so vy body vz wiring motor box and bcm Ecu pim key head . But their is no communication to ecu . Tec 2 says motor not present auto not present abs not present and all this was meant to be out of a working car .any help would be good thks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Did it all work in the donor vehicle? In the changeover have you ensured everything is powered up, fuses & relays all good? Are all earths connected where they should be?

euan

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
The guy I got it off said it did run but I didn't see or hear it .but tried putting other ecus and pims in but still no go or tech2 says Ecu not present have swapped relays around fuses have power to them all .got to have something Iam missing

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Sounds like something is corrupted! Think you will most likely need to have pcm, bcm & pim relinked.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
The guy I got it off said it did run but I didn't see or hear it .but tried putting other ecus and pims in but still no go or tech2 says Ecu not present have swapped relays around fuses have power to them all .got to have something Iam missing

Check with a multimeter that your 100% getting power to those modules. You can also check at the diagnostic port (Where you plug the Tech2 in) on pin 16 (Positive, Bottom right pin) and pin4/5 (Negative, top middle pins).

Also need to check to communication wires are working, the ECU there are pins 7 and 14. You should be getting about 3-4v showing on both of those pins. If you dont, then there is something wrong with the communication line. Im guess there is a missing ground point possibly?

Also, pin 9 is used for a secondary communication line, you should see ~4v on that pin as well.

I think you need to start with checking power is definitely going into the ECU :beer chug:

euan

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Hi is that on the purple plug which is pin one.plug where tech2 plugs in is ok .taken plug off ecu purple one is this the one I check or black plug ?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi is that on the purple plug which is pin one.plug where tech2 plugs in is ok .taken plug off ecu purple one is this the one I check or black plug ?

No no no.
Check the pins at the at the DLC (Data link connector).
Thats the plug you put the Tech2 into.