Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] VZ and VE - How to change the oil and filter on your Alloytec. (Detailed pictures)

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Fantastic Write-up and great pics.......Well Done Luke.

Just have to comment on the VE Oil Capacity. I do all the oil changes on my VZ and parent's VE. I have just finished doing another oil change on my parents VE Berlina V6 2008 model today. The owners handbook says 6.5 litres sump capacity. The service manual which I have also specifies 6.5 litres.

When I drain oil, I drive car for 15-20 mins to get oil hot, drain immediately once home, and let drain completely for an hour while I go have lunch. Filling up the VE V6 Berlina today, I put in 6.6 litres and this got the oil level to a couple of millimetres above the maximum mark on dipstick.

So I can confirm that both my 2004 VZ V6 Calais and the 2008 VE V6 Berlina has a fill capacity of 6.5 litres.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
HoldenOnn, is that the 180kw engine? Must be a difference between the 195kw and 180kw engines

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Last edited:

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Hmm, I'll have a look through my Castrol books when I head into work later on, see what they say. Seems to be a fair bit of confusion regarding the VEs.

enVy6

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY Acclaim
Woooot!! Thanks for this bro, definitely helps me a lot and will be changing my own oil + filters in the future!!! If you feel up to it don't be scared to do write ups of all other sorts of tune ups such as transmission, diff etc :)!!

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
hahaha transmission is a bit more messy

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
suppose it should be asked ... if your using another 4 or 5 litres of oil to flush the engine/sump does it matter what weight it is because its literally going in one hole and out the other, or does it have to be close to the weighting your putting in?

Im sort of thinking no, it doesnt matter because your just pouring it in so it pours out and takes all the gunk with it, but Im also thinking yes it does because it could clog somewhere along the way and mix in with the good stuff you pour in later.

Am I just overthinking a simple thing here???

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
suppose it should be asked ... if your using another 4 or 5 litres of oil to flush the engine/sump does it matter what weight it is because its literally going in one hole and out the other, or does it have to be close to the weighting your putting in?

Im sort of thinking no, it doesnt matter because your just pouring it in so it pours out and takes all the gunk with it, but Im also thinking yes it does because it could clog somewhere along the way and mix in with the good stuff you pour in later.

Am I just overthinking a simple thing here???

Id like to know this aswell, my engine was serviced every 15,000km and i was going through the logs and one was getting close to 20,000km :s (previous owner, fleet-car) so im wanting to do a flush.

Hmm, I'll have a look through my Castrol books when I head into work later on, see what they say. Seems to be a fair bit of confusion regarding the VEs.

My 2006 VE Calais (195kw) says 6.7L in the service manual.