Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] -[VZ] How to Install a Steering Wheel Convertor

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Hey guys i did some testing for Mike on his CAT-10 replacement and took photos along the way.

* I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO ANYTHING WHILE YOU FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL

*Note: This how to can be used for all steering wheel converters that use IR method

First take out your stereo so that all of your wires are exposed

28072009098.jpg

28072009099.jpg

If there is hardly any slack on the wiring loom for your stereo, the loom is connected here by a cable tie, simply put some side cutters up underneath and cut it free, be sure not to cut the wiring loom.

28072009100.jpg

Wire in the steering wheel converter box, wire connections are marked as below. Make sure you ground the Black w/ Yellow trace or the unit will not work.

28072009098copy.jpg

Once they are all connected point the IR sender at your head unit to make sure everything is working as it should.

I have chosen to mount the IR sender here as i couldn't find anywhere else that would suit this application and still work effectively.

28072009106.jpg

Pull out the lower center console part there is only one screw under the ask tray, and it just pops out. It helps if you remove the cup holder and the small coin try next to the electric window buttons.

28072009096.jpg

28072009097.jpg

Run the cable along like so and bunch it up with around 10cm of slack

28072009102.jpg

28072009104.jpg

*NOTE: Before doing the next step i recommend you test the IR sender at this angle and height to make sure the stereo will receive the commands properly if all goes well and you are confident that it will be adequate continue with the next step

Once you have run the cable take out the lower center console part and drill a hole in this location make sure you do it as high as possible.

Once drilled get a IR mount (found at Jaycar, Black 5MM $2.95 for 20) and make sure it fits in the hole.

I chose to re heat shrink the IR sender as it was to chunky and not on the right angle, recommend you do the same. Make sure it melts in a Right Angle.

28072009107.jpg

Thread the IR sender into the mount and super glue it in, then once that has dried put some hot glue around it to make sure it will never come out.

28072009109.jpg

Reassemble everything and test to see if it works!

Finished Product:

28072009110.jpg

Last edited:

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Great write up there mate:thumbsup:

But ur car needs a vacuum:p

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
this thread is for like a vy stearing wheel controls to work with a after market head unit ??

Yes, there is a person on this forum that can make a converter for you for around $70 i think

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That is obviously in a VY, but which wire does the brown wire on the unit connect to on the car in a VT? The brown wire is there but it is on the plug from the HU, not in the original loom. The HU was already in when we bought the car. It is a Clarion. I cannot find a brown wire on the car side of the loom that goes to the plug. There is a brown wire that loops back on itself though, but this doesn't work.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That is obviously in a VY, but which wire does the brown wire on the unit connect to on the car in a VT? The brown wire is there but it is on the plug from the HU, not in the original loom. The HU was already in when we bought the car. It is a Clarion. I cannot find a brown wire on the car side of the loom that goes to the plug. There is a brown wire that loops back on itself though, but this doesn't work.

i think you have to cut that brown looped wire, ask michaelw for clarification if you are installing one of his units

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I know this is a old thread, by i recently purchased a Aerpro - CHVYVZA convertor unit.

Thankfully it was a real lazy install where it was just all disconnect the current harness and put the unit between them with its own harness.

I however noticed after putting this in place, when switching the ignition off and back on later, the Head Unit would reset itself.

As a test i removed and hooked the head unit back up the original way, and it worked all good.

I then plugged the Aepro unit back in place and traced the cables.. it appears 1 of the blue wires that is constant to keep head unit memory is missing from the Aepro harness.

Luckily i had a spare harness pieces hanging around and popped the pins out and used that.

This would affect anyone who uses this on any after market head unit.