Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Manual SV6 (Autospeed)

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Heres a few quotes from a recent Autospeed Article, it seems the SV6 doesn't drive like the performance car it's marketed as. I agree that they need a diff gear change but I didn't think they were this disappointing.

As taken from Autospeed.......

Article Author

"In real-world driving, the SV6 manual is a disappointment"

"Even a garden-variety Falcon 4.0 or Magna VR-X will give it a close run"

"The SV6 doesn’t feel as effortless or refined as the Ford"

Leon Vincenzi (V6 Tuning Guru)

“It doesn’t really do anything at low revs. It goes alright when you take it to high revs but, even then, my development VN V6 would whip it.

“Although it’s a completely different engine it is almost like the old 3.8 litre V6 with a bigger cam in it. That’s how it feels. It’s even got the same valvetrain noise at idle. It sounds strained when you take it to high revs too.

“If I was looking for a car in this market I’d be disappointed.“

It's interesting about the rev limiter and redline dash markings too, maybe they'd just like conservative driving for the warranty period (Avoiding another LS1 incident). With the stated stroke, 6 bolt mains and the top end the Alloy tech uses, rdevs shouldn't be a problem.

Article found <<Here>>

skarekrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute M6
Wow, they really give it a pasting in that article! well i went for a test drive in one of the auto utes and i have 2 say i was impressed, even with only 175kw! and the manual should be even better!
i'll agree that it didn't feel as refined but i'd need to spend some time in it to really make a judgement on that- a ten minute test drive only tells u so much!
i'm not sure why they bagged it out so much, i thought it was pretty good.
i wouldn't be disappointed with one!

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
And the SV6 can’t hang its hat on fuel consumption. We recorded almost 15 litres of fuel per 100km in mainly urban conditions with the air conditioning pumping. In normal circumstances, we’d expect high 13s – pretty ho-hum in the category.

Bahaha. What the hell were they doing? My Auto SV6 towing close to a 1600kg caravan, 5 ppl, luggage etc from Sutherland to Newcastle got 15.5l/100k's!

Round town here I got 13 and that was 400k's of driving in nothing but 40-50 zones with the a/c on 99% of the time.

As for the Manual gearbox, yeah I did the calcs before I decided. My old VT auto does 2000revs at 110k's (1800ish at 100), and the 5 speed auto SV6 does the same - thats 1 more gear change to be done in the acceleartion to the same speed. The 6 speed manual works out to roughly the same final revs as well, so that means 5 gear changes before you get to cruising at 100 on the same revs. And thats done manually. Screw that, so here I'd have to agree with them :)

S

seconds.away

There is no rule saying that you have to select all gears in a manual when accelerating to a certain speed!!!

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
ouch, that doesnt sound to good, I thought the SV6 was just a stunt to seel more of the same car?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
jetspin_vl said:
Bugger the pricks, I'll still take one

Yep I'm happy with mine :)

FullySik

Reaction score
just wondering whats the factory 1/4 and 0 - 100km/h times.