Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Webber attacks Nanny State

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mark Webber attacks 'nanny state'

Well done to mark for coming out and saying this, it is about time someone with a high profile stuck it up these useless idiots attempting to run the state(note run our lives).

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
also be sure to vote in the poll on that article, but only if you vote for yes.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
so it is o.k. to be stupid in a car on a public road as long as your an F1 driver?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I couldn't agree with Webber more!

With all due respect to Vic Roads, Victoria Police and the Government, they are trying to fix a vital problem. However, as rightly said, it has become a 'nanny state' in the sense that we all are bound so tightly to a set of rules as to what we can and cannot do that we must essentially read an instruction manual to life when we get out of bed to remind ourselves about how we are up to the neck in rules, laws, legislation, bureaucracy, knee jerk reactionary politics etc. The government just keeps applying 'band aid' legislation to the problem, for a small cut in the arm of the road users, there are that many 'band aid' laws that none of them are sticking. P plate legislation, speeding laws, anti hoon laws...the lot of them are so over the top, and none of them are fixing the problem.

Ken Lay and his team think that they are preserving the safety of people, explain why more people are dying on the road Ken? Explain how countries with better driver education and far less road rules have a much lower road toll (I.e. Germany etc). And you, the government and Vic Roads still have the nerve to say we have 'the fairest and safest roads'. Bullshit.

Full marks Webber, stick it to them!

so it is o.k. to be stupid in a car on a public road as long as your an F1 driver?

This isn't about Lewis Hamilton totally, we are talking about how controlled our society and roads are. We are basically one step away from having Swiss road rules, where you go to prison for slightly speeding. Lewis Hamilton did the wrong thing according to our laws, but our laws are so strict compared to Europe is basically what Webber is saying. Yes we do have a hoon problem in Australia where things do get slightly out of hand, i.e. speeding cars smashing into other cars killing 10 people in one go, but the thing is, the legislation that is supposed to prevent or provide consequences for that happening does not 'PREVENT' these situations from occuring. They apply the blanket 'band aid' policy and just create a harsh legislation with so many faults and throw it at the problem, hoping it will work. It never does. This is why Australian society as a whole is subject to 'reactionary' politics, which is exactly what I just described.

There is a fine line with road laws, because you have sensible, skilled, safe drivers that might pull the odd burnout or fishy now or then...but then you have nutcase muzzas and idiots who constantly abuse the law and drive in unsafe fashion all the time. The laws are meant to prevent the 'worst case scenario'. However they never or rarely get caught. It's like with fixed speed cameras, they're supposed to curb speeding drivers, yeah they will catch the odd hoon, 90% of the time they will catch someone who has had a momentary loss of concentration and for 5k over you get done. And the government and Vic Roads and Vic Police hide behind the excuse that it is 'creating a safer road'. Yeah but on a scale of 1 to 100 of how effective it is, I wouldn't even give it a full 1. It's revenue raising and a blanket 'band aid' policy that is one of the thousands of laws that are 'meant' to be creating a safer road, but they aren't.

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
I couldn't agree with Webber more!

With all due respect to Vic Roads, Victoria Police and the Government, they are trying to fix a vital problem. However, as rightly said, it has become a 'nanny state' in the sense that we all are bound so tightly to a set of rules as to what we can and cannot do that we must essentially read an instruction manual to life when we get out of bed to remind ourselves about how we are up to the neck in rules, laws, legislation, bureaucracy, knee jerk reactionary politics etc. The government just keeps applying 'band aid' legislation to the problem, for a small cut in the arm of the road users, there are that many 'band aid' laws that none of them are sticking. P plate legislation, speeding laws, anti hoon laws...the lot of them are so over the top, and none of them are fixing the problem.

Ken Lay and his team think that they are preserving the safety of people, explain why more people are dying on the road Ken? Explain how countries with better driver education and far less road rules have a much lower road toll (I.e. Germany etc). And you, the government and Vic Roads still have the nerve to say we have 'the fairest and safest roads'. Bullshit.

Full marks Webber, stick it to them!

This isn't about Lewis Hamilton totally, we are talking about how controlled our society and roads are. We are basically one step away from having Swiss road rules, where you go to prison for slightly speeding. Lewis Hamilton did the wrong thing according to our laws, but our laws are so strict compared to Europe is basically what Webber is saying. Yes we do have a hoon problem in Australia where things do get slightly out of hand, i.e. speeding cars smashing into other cars killing 10 people in one go, but the thing is, the legislation that is supposed to prevent or provide consequences for that happening does not 'PREVENT' these situations from occuring. They apply the blanket 'band aid' policy and just create a harsh legislation with so many faults and throw it at the problem, hoping it will work. It never does. This is why Australian society as a whole is subject to 'reactionary' politics, which is exactly what I just described.

There is a fine line with road laws, because you have sensible, skilled, safe drivers that might pull the odd burnout or fishy now or then...but then you have nutcase muzzas and idiots who constantly abuse the law and drive in unsafe fashion all the time. The laws are meant to prevent the 'worst case scenario'. However they never or rarely get caught. It's like with fixed speed cameras, they're supposed to curb speeding drivers, yeah they will catch the odd hoon, 90% of the time they will catch someone who has had a momentary loss of concentration and for 5k over you get done. And the government and Vic Roads and Vic Police hide behind the excuse that it is 'creating a safer road'. Yeah but on a scale of 1 to 100 of how effective it is, I wouldn't even give it a full 1. It's revenue raising and a blanket 'band aid' policy that is one of the thousands of laws that are 'meant' to be creating a safer road, but they aren't.

Couldn't agree more, nor could I have said it any better!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
nothing short of banning cars will stop teenagers from killing them selfs on the roads

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That's really good news to see we are approaching the threshold of what people will take :), I was worried there was no limit to how much screwing under the thumb the population would go for. As other people have said it's not only the hoon laws, it's everything lately it's just gone too far. No one can have any fun anymore, someone is looking over your shoulder all the time, being a freedom killer, no wonder the entire country are drowning their sorrows in cake and ice cream :p

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Victorian road laws are complete crap, none of there implement laws do anything to lower the road toll, low powered cars still do 160kph easy enough no matter what the government choose to believe and if you wanna do it, your gonna do it.

Speed Cameras are just revenue gainers, take a look at NSW ffs, have to legally have signs out before speed camera which slows the people down when they see it, unlike victoria whose signs are 50 meters AFTER the fricken camera if they have a speed camera in use sign at all.

Australian GP | Mark Webber Takes Swipe At Australian Nanny State

I love the comment in there Deputy Commissioner Lay - ‘‘I’d much prefer Mark to be talking about keeping the speeding and the hooning on the race track and being a bit sensible on our roads,’’ he said.

HAHA WHAT ****ING TRACKS YOU KNOB, YOU WON'T BUILD ANY FOR US.