Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman L67 refuses to start

pistolfreak04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman L67
Hey all,
I've got a 2001 WH Statesman L67 that refuses to start.
i've narrowed it down to the injectors not getting the signal to fire.
New parts: Battery, Fuel pump, EFI module, Cam angle, crank angle, fuel filter, 40l of petrol, replaced all related fuses / relays.
confirmed that the BCM isn't water damaged, confirmed that the immobiliser turns off, coughs on start ya bastard. on ocasion it would cough on petrol. ran some injector cleaner through the lines to no avail. there is the ground (?) signal, but no pulse signal on crank. there is fuel pressure, that was tested. I have been reading through a million fourms and repair manuals trying to figure something out. I don't have a tech II tool and not keen of splurging $500 more on one
I'll post more as I remember it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The DFI module generates the pulse signal to the PCM using the cam and crank sensors. Remove the DFI plug and make sure all the connection pins and sockets in the plug are clean and making good contact.

pistolfreak04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman L67
The DFI module generates the pulse signal to the PCM using the cam and crank sensors. Remove the DFI plug and make sure all the connection pins and sockets in the plug are clean and making good contact.
yeah I made sure to when I put the new one in

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Without more thorough test equipment you may need to take it somewhere that has. You have replaced all the main components that may cause the issue (DFI, cam and crank sensors). It may pay to look for wiring issues first, there was a recent case where there was a broken wire going to the cam sensor.

This might help,

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hope this doesn't sound silly but when you did the new DFI Module did you add the Thermal Paste to the plate? Reason i ask i had same issue with my l67... when doing the LIM gasket i cleaned off the paste (thinking it was dirty grease) and had the same problem you have until i put some new paste there again.

pistolfreak04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman L67
Hope this doesn't sound silly but when you did the new DFI Module did you add the Thermal Paste to the plate? Reason i ask i had same issue with my l67... when doing the LIM gasket i cleaned off the paste (thinking it was dirty grease) and had the same problem you have until i put some new paste there again.
uhhhhhhhh i think i found the issue
ecu wires.jpg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yup, that will do it :(

Some of that looks like it's been cut!

pistolfreak04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman L67
Yup, that will do it :(

Some of that looks like it's been cut!
I beleive that would be from a breatho lock, kick panel was damaged, i assume to make room for the breatho wires, and that would explain why everything but the injectors would fire, (havent looked at the wiring diagram yet) i talked to the previous owner, and he says it was some older gentlemans car, that he drove to the TAB and back, so that would explain the breatho theroy and why to body is rough. (and why it's gold)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Doesn't look like it will be too hard to repair.