Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^^ ........ further to that work required............the inspection took about an hour to complete, and I was with the mech as he was poking and prodding, and agreed with his findings, some of which were pretty obvious when all the wheels are hanging like a rams nuts.
Makes me wonder about NSW roadworthy checks ........ lights, tyres, exhaust, engine oil leaks > all good to go for 12 months.
Leaking shocks, flogged-out bump stops, ball joints with a bit of play, cracked or sagging diff bushes > she'll be right.
Small tear in the seat base > definitely life threatening,

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Got a quote today to fix some suspension niggles on the 15 year old Territory.
$2,400 ..... wipe the eyes :eek:
Yes, it is Pedders, but I have dealt with them before, and have no complaints, and it is 10 years and 90Km since any work was done, including wheel alignments.
Yes, I know that a lot of members will think it is expensive, and do it themselves with Ebay parts for a lot less, but I am well past DIY and have enough fun tickets saved. I am convinced that keeping an old car roadworthy is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying any newish car that I don't like.
I absolutely agree. If we had time on our side, I’d do a full overhaul of an Adventra, add some modern features like Birds Eye view park assist and be done with it at a fraction of the price of what our new car cost.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Got a quote today to fix some suspension niggles on the 15 year old Territory.
$2,400 ..... wipe the eyes :eek:
Yes, it is Pedders, but I have dealt with them before, and have no complaints, and it is 10 years and 90Km since any work was done, including wheel alignments.
Yes, I know that a lot of members will think it is expensive, and do it themselves with Ebay parts for a lot less, but I am well past DIY and have enough fun tickets saved. I am convinced that keeping an old car roadworthy is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying any newish car that I don't like.

Would rear suspension work be part of the quote? I know that can boost the price up and is a PITA to do

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Would rear suspension work be part of the quote? I know that can boost the price up and is a PITA to do
It's a Ford Territory isn't it, of course the rear subframe will also need to come out to replace every bush in it

The car of the year with a rear end from hell

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Rear suspension had all the bushes replaced 10 years ago at 60Km. That was $1,100 and they do have to drop the whole lot, sorta like doing a VE fuel tank (?)
I had words with the Ford dealer about my dissatisfaction that all the OEM bushes were stuffed on a SUV that was designed for Australian roads, and on a car that had never seen a dusty unsealed road to Dead Dingo Creek ............ that was the job for the HOLDEN Cross6.
Anyhow, Ford's answer amounted to 'stiff cheese, warranty has expired, see ya.'

This time ::: Rear shocks $400, outer pivot joints $170, diff mounts $230, + other bits and pieces for the front, wheel alignment and labour.
As I wrote, I know I can get Ebay shocks delivered for less than a 1/4 of the price ........ but .... shrug. If I don't spend it, the offspring will waste it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's a Ford Territory isn't it, of course the rear subframe will also need to come out to replace every bush in it

The car of the year with a rear end from hell

Has the same rear set up as the Falcon of the same era....A real fun job...NOT

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rear suspension had all the bushes replaced 10 years ago at 60Km. That was $1,100 and they do have to drop the whole lot, sorta like doing a VE fuel tank (?)
I had words with the Ford dealer about my dissatisfaction that all the OEM bushes were stuffed on a SUV that was designed for Australian roads, and on a car that had never seen a dusty unsealed road to Dead Dingo Creek ............ that was the job for the HOLDEN Cross6.
Anyhow, Ford's answer amounted to 'stiff cheese, warranty has expired, see ya.'

This time ::: Rear shocks $400, outer pivot joints $170, diff mounts $230, + other bits and pieces for the front, wheel alignment and labour.
As I wrote, I know I can get Ebay shocks delivered for less than a 1/4 of the price ........ but .... shrug. If I don't spend it, the offspring will waste it.

Not the best with the rear bushes.....

Not going to judge you for not doing the work yourself.....You seem to be of the age that you can do without all the aches and pains associated with replacing stuff yourself.... :)

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Spanner, No good.
Multi Grips, No Good.
Other Spanners and Sockets, No Good.
Bigger Multis, No good.
Stilsons, No Good.

Mashy and a Cold Chisel. Woohoo!
Finally got the Sump Bolt out. Destroyed in the process, but its out!.

Put a new Sump Plug in (for reference is a 24x1.5 thread)
Did an oil and Filter service on the VS.
Did the Spark Plugs too. (Shouldve gotten some leads)
Topped up a few other fluids.

Drove the SS, Stupid Reduced Performance engine light came up.
Throttle position sensor circuits.
Think the first one was A (P....). then second was B (P0222)
Cleared it. Put in the Garage, Hope it doesnt come back in a week.
Sometimes you can cut a slot into a bolt head using a grinder with a fine cut-off wheel, and then use a screwdriver. You have to be accurate though.