Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What octane fuel do you use?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It used to be an E5 but they don't seem to sell it anymore. Either that or they no longer tell you it has 5% ethanol.
I believe E3 is a thing with 98, possibly Mobil, possibly in NZ....?????

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
It used to be an E5 but they don't seem to sell it anymore. Either that or they no longer tell you it has 5% ethanol.
only one i can confirm is the BP 98 dosnt have any ethanol, i used it for a bit in my daylie and then switched to e10 and fuel stoich needed to be changed 3-4% to compensate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
only one i can confirm is the BP 98 dosnt have any ethanol, i used it for a bit in my daylie and then switched to e10 and fuel stoich needed to be changed 3-4% to compensate
I don't think Ampol does either. Like someone mentioned a page or two ago, I get better economy with Ampol 98 premium fuel compared to other brands. I can't figure out why this is the case but I have had several people all unrelated tell me the same thing. I suspect I might be getting worse economy using Tas Petroleum fuel lately than I was with Ampol. I noticed it before I had the tune too but I thought I was just imagining it....? Tas Petroleum is about 8-10cpl cheaper so I have been running it, even though it's out of my way to go there. In theory it doesn't make sense as plenty of people reckon it all comes from the same supplier in Tas.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I want 0% ethanol in my fuel

If I wanted ethanol I would have flex fuel and use E85

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I believe E3 is a thing with 98, possibly Mobil, possibly in NZ....?????
I believe the Mobil and bp 98 we get here in NZ doesn’t contain any ethanol, we have gull that sells 98 octane which is an e10 fuel also we have npd that sells 100 octane with no ethanol content which I run in my ssv

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Car is set for Flex - use 98 for getting around & E85 at the track. Always a bit of a juggle to arrive at the track with minimal 98 so the mix of about 40l of E85 is mainly that. On the trip home I fill to the top with 98 as the E85 goes "gluggy" and fouls the lines / long crank cycle etc if left to sit, so a load of 98 at the end of day does the trick.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
I'm using 98 always now.
But I sold my Commodore for a Toyota GT86 now.

20L per 100ks was way too much fuel to and from work in my SV6.

So much happier now I've not got a black now

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
I have to be honest and say I default to 91 but have been known to use E10.... :oops: This isn't cost related but because I didn't seem to think there was any difference, but I'm learning a higher octane is actually better for the car hey.

What do you drive and what do you use?
2007 Ve and I’ve always put in 91, maybe one day I’ll try 95 or 98 but seeing as it’s only a small difference if any unless the car is specific to 98 or so on, I don’t see the point, in my 2013 Corolla same thing just 91 and never had any problems and don’t see the point, unless it’s a race car or you really want that tiny difference or the car is fuel specific, what’s the point

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
2007 Ve and I’ve always put in 91, maybe one day I’ll try 95 or 98 but seeing as it’s only a small difference if any unless the car is specific to 98 or so on, I don’t see the point, in my 2013 Corolla same thing just 91 and never had any problems and don’t see the point, unless it’s a race car or you really want that tiny difference or the car is fuel specific, what’s the point
Really does depend whether the car is modded or not. Most stock will be fine with 91.
It's when the cars have timing advanced or higher compression engines (FA20 in the GT86) where you need higher octane to stop any detonation happening.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm tuned on 98 so I have to use it.