Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better?

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
G'day guys and girls, so im just wondering for my first car should i go VS or a VT? i like the shape of the vt's and vx's, but the vs is just as sexy and i was wondering;

1. which is more fuel efficient?
2. which is a better drive, mechanically etc?
3. How many k's are too many k's? (coz i think even these days 200,000+ isnt too bad, the old ecotecs are one of the best engines going around)
4. Are acclaims and executives ordinary compared to say a berlina? or am i better off saving the extra money?

and thats pretty much every question i have, ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOMED AND WILL DEFINITELY HELP ME OUT!

Thanks for this, and yeah my price range is pretty much exactly 5 grand.

EDIT : forgot too add, restricted by red P's, and also can hav auto or manual.

ps. (i took my username from my mums car)

Last edited:

utekid2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi VEcalaisV
i have a VT series 2 excutive with 144k and my old man has a VS excutive with 350K both are ecotech both auto, what i can say is that both are great to drive with a little more comfort in the VT with saying that the VS is beta on petrol then the VT. this is only my opinon. hope is helps in someway

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Depends on a bunch of things... But personally i would go for a VS Berlina/Calais over say a VT Exec. That said, it really depends whether you can find a really good condition VS or VT.

Newer is generally better, although the VT did have a few camber issues etc.

Personally i would probably go a VS Calais if you can find one in your price range.

EDIT - Seems to be a few nice VS SII Calais with under 200,000kms going for $4k or so. Leaves a bit extra to get it on the road... minor repairs etc.

Best of luck

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Thanks guys, and yeah feistl, i am quite keen on the VS as it is still a very nice car. That said, the VT interior is just a little bit nicer, although utekid saying that they are easier on the fuel might make up my mind!

Thanks guys need more opinions and details on the cars!!

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Thanks guys, and yeah feistl, i am quite keen on the VS as it is still a very nice car. That said, the VT interior is just a little bit nicer, although utekid saying that they are easier on the fuel might make up my mind!

Thanks guys need more opinions and details on the cars!!

Again depends on the model... A VS Calais should have leather seats and climate control etc, whereas a VT exec will be cloth and standard heating/cooling. The VS's are a little lighter, although there wont be much difference between a VS Calais and VT Exec.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate, they all have the same running gear in the v6's, except on the vs you may not have IRS.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Again depends on the model... A VS Calais should have leather seats and climate control etc, whereas a VT exec will be cloth and standard heating/cooling. The VS's are a little lighter, although there wont be much difference between a VS Calais and VT Exec.

alright, i just see so many vs calais' with just the cloth stock standard interior and not many with leather, thanks again mate.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Mate,

Go with the VT. I have had a VS before and had nothing but problems with it. They don't have as big of a fuel tank compared to the VT and the comfort isn't all that good. VT gearboxes are a lot stronger, which is great when towing. Yes some do have camber problems. I personally prefer the VT over the VS. Berlina's are more of a luxury car with Climate control, power windows and rear reading lights in the back (I think the Calais are the same), anyway it will probably all come down to how many Ks are on each car as far as the price goes.

Cheers

Mumbo

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Hey Mate,

Go with the VT. I have had a VS before and had nothing but problems with it. They don't have as big of a fuel tank compared to the VT and the comfort isn't all that good. VT gearboxes are a lot stronger, which is great when towing. Yes some do have camber problems. I personally prefer the VT over the VS. Berlina's are more of a luxury car with Climate control, power windows and rear reading lights in the back (I think the Calais are the same), anyway it will probably all come down to how many Ks are on each car as far as the price goes.

Cheers

Mumbo

Thanks mate, just wondering, what kind of issues did you have with the VS, because ive heard reviews from mechanic mates that they are a great reliable car?