Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel alignment

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
A mate with a VT had a wheel alignment because his steering wheel was at 1 o'clock going straight. The steering wheel is still not straight. He reckons the technician said its because its an old car and the suspension and bushings aren't good enough. Thoughts?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I call bullshit.

Centre the wheel, lock it in place.
Undo the tierod locknuts, adjust according to the machine and the lock em back up.

I believe they forgot to do it

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
He reckons the technician said its because its an old car and the suspension and bushings aren't good enough. Thoughts?
He could have a point there, not just because it is an old car, but in what condition is the front suspension ?
If stuff is worn and wobbling in all directions, fair enough.

But getting the steering wheel straight is a major operation, according to some. I have had enough wheel alignments where the car went in straight and came out off centre. A quick test drive of their completed job would have shown the problem.
Worst was my Crewman. I stupidly gave the Holden Dealer a list of stuff I wanted done after I bought it, which included a wheel alignment. Even wrapped a piece of tape around the rim to show the angle when on a flat road. 3 attempts later ............ :mad:
Luckily ;), I had to take it back over the next 2 days for them to fix other stuff which was sorta not done right.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A mate with a VT had a wheel alignment because his steering wheel was at 1 o'clock going straight. The steering wheel is still not straight. He reckons the technician said its because its an old car and the suspension and bushings aren't good enough. Thoughts?

Find a new alignment shop.

If there is something worn effecting steering alignment the shop should have recommended that get fixed before completing said alignment.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even easier. Park car with wheels facing perfectly straight, remove steering wheel then refit steering wheel but here's the trick, fit it exactly straight. Done

But won't you potentially **** up the clock spring doing this if the alignment is to far off?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Even easier. Park car with wheels facing perfectly straight, remove steering wheel then refit steering wheel but here's the trick, fit it exactly straight. Done
How about do the front end alignment properly it will steer better. Theres a certain turn out I slap every-time I see for doing that to my old VK it steered better before I got new tyres and let him do a front end alignment on it. As soon as you move the wheel off the mark it never steers the same don't break the clockspring if you move the wheel drive up and down the street and stop dead straight if your going to move the wheel.
Get another alignment some where else

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
No-one here removed a steering wheel or changed out a clock spring? Not rocket science people.
Does the car drive straight after the wheel alignment, did it drive straight before? Has the steering wheel ever been off in the cars 20 plus year life?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
No-one here removed a steering wheel or changed out a clock spring? Not rocket science people.
Its still hiding from a bad alignment? Every time I've done it the car didn't steer real good compared to how it steers with a good alignment if ones honest about it

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Find a new alignment shop.

If there is something worn effecting steering alignment the shop should have recommended that get fixed before completing said alignment.

I don't know jack about wheel alignments but these are the specs on the VT before and after. The car passed a roadworthy about 12 months ago. Left front tyre wore unevenly and feathered on the outside and inside with heaps of tread in the centre.

1700191065933.png

Last edited: