Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to buy front strut dust boots

VnCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Executive
Just wondering where to buy replacement stock front strut dust boots nd bump stops for a vn? Been looking around a while and they all seem to look pretty different

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Becareful on Ebay,i purchased a set and the dust boots were too short for the front struts,probably best to pay the extra thru Repco.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Get the KYB VT ones from repco they are the same exact boot with the top flare cut off about 3cm, you dont really have to cut it but you can.

dont get ones for a VN/VP because they will always be too short even from repco, dont listen to them

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do the struts on the VN use the same boots as VR? If yes I will search for you when I get on my computer. EBay sell them but you need to get the rubber ones. The plastic ones are useless and flop up and down. Whereas the rubber ones are cable tied at each end.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride

VnCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Executive
Get the KYB VT ones from repco they are the same exact boot with the top flare cut off about 3cm, you dont really have to cut it but you can.

dont get ones for a VN/VP because they will always be too short even from repco, dont listen to them
I went and bought them and the bump stop sits real tight on the rod but the bottom of the dust boot is extremely loose, is that gonna cause an issue? Just the drivers side which still has a stock boot on it and its real snug around the shock

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
I went and bought them and the bump stop sits real tight on the rod but the bottom of the dust boot is extremely loose, is that gonna cause an issue? Just the drivers side which still has a stock boot on it and its real snug around the shock

Hope u got them round the right way. Need to put that little metal ring back in at the top as well.

Throw a ziptie around the bottom thats how factory have it, just with a metal ziptie i think.

Here is mine installed.

Screenshot_20231207_200123_Gallery.jpg

This is the metal ring im talkin about on my old dust boot before i replaced em.

Screenshot_20231207_200354_Gallery~2.jpg

VnCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Executive
Hope u got them round the right way. Need to put that little metal ring back in at the top as well.

Throw a ziptie around the bottom thats how factory have it, just with a metal ziptie i think.

Here is mine installed.

View attachment 261151

This is the metal ring im talkin about on my old dust boot before i replaced em.

View attachment 261153
Ahhh I see the issue now, cheers for the photos bro. The bloke who owned the car before me had replaced the boot himself and used the complete wrong one for starters and just had it sitting like this over the rod, not sure what he’s done with the metal ring but I’ll have to see if I can find one either at a wreckers or online

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpeg
    IMG_1452.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 45

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahhh I see the issue now, cheers for the photos bro. The bloke who owned the car before me had replaced the boot himself and used the complete wrong one for starters and just had it sitting like this over the rod, not sure what he’s done with the metal ring but I’ll have to see if I can find one either at a wreckers or online
Yeah mate probably go a wreckers ide say. Haven't seen them online at all otherwise i woulda got new ones haha. love new metal bits.

If you pull one out yourself you might just have to reef on the metal ring/cone - it will seem like it doesnt come off at first but they do.